Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat Pump system with auxillary/back-up heat

Posted by Curious12 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 13:30

I have a heat pump system with auxillary/back-up electric heat. The heat pump works great, but how can I tell the auxillary/back-up heat is working?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat Pump system with auxillary/back-up heat

If you have modern type HP thermostat, there should be a light indicator that shows when your heat strip is activated. If your thermostat does not have that indicator, check your electric meter. When heat strip is activated, the meter wheel/disc should be spinning faster than you can see.

IMO

o

If you have an in-door/out-door thermometer, stick the out-door sensor down a supply vent. When the aux/backup is on, the temperature should be higher than when just the HP alone is running. However, if your heat strips are staged, this may or may not be true.

SR

o

Set the thermostat to Emergency mode. That will activate the aux heating and deactivate the HP. If it blows warm air, you're ok.

o

Good suggestion by weed...

o

Alternatively to weed's suggestion, you can crank up the heat by 5 or 10 degrees...this should also kick on the Emergency Heat.

o

Not always Cas20. I am sure there are some people that have thermostats with advanced settings and no idea about it. Some stats with outdoor temp sensing can have lockouts on the strips and pump at different temperatures. Right now its above the 35 degrees my strips are locked out at so they will not come on no matter what I set the temp.

Emergency mode is probably the easiest for sure test.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here