Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crack in combustion chamber

Posted by pete4 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 12:56

My oil fired boiler has a 1/2 inch crack in the rear corner. About a year ago when I had it cleaned, the tech said to keep an eye on it. He said if the outside covering of the boiler starts to discolor due to heat, that I would need to replace it. The boiler is 15 years old and runs fine otherwise. Can the combustion chamber be replaced or does the whole unit need to be replaced? The house is 2800 sq. Any suggestions for brands if replacement is necessary? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crack in combustion chamber

Depending upon the brand, chambers are certainly replaceable. If you have a soft chamber, they usually have cracks, but if the break is near the top of the chamber, it is possible to burn through the base or ruin the upper part of the boiler.

o
RE: Crack in combustion chamber

Call the manufacturer of the boiler for local parts sourcing. Most every boiler using a combustion chamber has replacement kits. I've had mine replaced once. Not a big deal. Got the replacement through a local hardware store that dealt with the boiler company's parts. Search combustion chamber+"your brand" using search engine. I see Weil McClain kits going for &$50-70 bucks. These get cracks in them from age, but more so from rookie technicians that hit the pot with their flush brushes during cleaning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here