Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schroads

Quick Comparison

schroads
12 years ago

I have a question about comparing quotes. I have lurked on this forum for some time to figure out the costs, issues and problems with a central AC install. I have a 2 1/2 story, 1920 foursquare, stucco exterior that has radiator heat (water). I had a new triangle tube prestige excellence combi boiler for heat and hot water installed 2 years ago as part of a energy star home performance program. We have no existing duct work.

I have had 6 HVAC contractors out to the house and just received my first two quotes. The disparity in price is crazy, so I wanted to ask about the two units before waiting for other estimates. Specifically, I wanted to know if the disparity is worth it. Please assume that one unit will cool the third floor family room (450 sq. feet) and 4 bedroom second floor (950 sq. feet), while the second unit will cool the first floor (950 sq. feet). Also both estimate have ductwork installation, electrical work, permits and Honeywell programmable thermostats.

Contractor A - Spent 2 1/2 hours at my house with detailed measurements and said he would perform a Manual J, though it was not included in estimate.

2 - Rheem Model # RHLLHM 3821 Air Handlers

2 - RHEEM Model # 14AJM30A0116 2.5 ton AC Condensor (16SEER/13EER)

2 year labor warranty (all machines)

10 year parts warranty (all machines)

10 year compressor warranty

$28,500

Contractor B - Spent 1 1/2 at my house and perform some measurements. Spent more time looking at the installation of the system. He said he would perform a Manual J, again it was not included in the estimate.

2 - RUUD Model # RHLL 2417 Air Handler

1 - RUUD Model # UAPM018 (ARI # 3487518) 1.5 ton AC Condenser (16 SEER)

1 - RUUD Model # UAPM024 (ARI # 3487572) 2.0 ton AC Condenser (16 SEER)

5 year labor warranty (all machines)

10 year parts warranty (all machines)

Lifetime compressor warranty

$16,000

I know it is difficult to comment without all the information and the manual J calculation, but I want to simply compare equipment to see if the price difference is justified. I hope future estimate will washout the over pricing or under pricing. I know the installation is more important than equipment, but I want to know if the equipment is significantly better.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz