Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New heating system advice.

Posted by crice01 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 11:37

So I bought a new home in WV six years ago. It came with a 57K btu propane heater, which heats rather well and a 10 Seer 3 ton Central AC. However, the price of propane has jumped to $3.10/gal and our estimated heating cost for next year are over $4k. Cost of electric in our area is .095/kw.

After crunching a bunch of numbers I have settled on a Goodman 3 ton 2 stage 16 seer/9.5 hspf system. The question I have is: the old unit was rated at 57K Btu and the Goodman is only 36K Btu, is this going to heat my home or do I need to be looking at a bigger unit?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New heating system advice.

Crice

Tell us the brand and model of the furnace.

More than likely, your furnace has a three ton blower rating. This needs to be confirmed.

If true, you can not go higher than a three ton HP condenser.

Also, you can not go to a high eff HP unless the blower on furnace is var speed or has the high eff X-13 blower motor which it probably does not have.

If above is correct, you would be just as well off to stay with a good 13 SEER HP condenser with matching evap coil.

You will also need a dual fuel thermostat and possibly an outdoor sensor.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here