Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice needed: Choosing most efficient ceiling fan

Posted by functionfirst (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 11:32

We need a ceiling fan w/60" blades for our family room and have narrowed our choice down to two. We don't know how to determine which will be more efficient, electricity-wise:

Fan "A":Airflow: 6967 CFM, elec use: 88 watts, Airflow efficiency: 80 CFM/watt

Fan "V":Airflow: 4646 CFM, elec use: 12 watts, Airflow efficiency: 384 CFM/watt

Please give me your advice. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice needed: Choosing most efficient ceiling fan

Those numbers can't be right but if they were, Fan V would be more efficient. There shouldn't be a nearly 5 fold difference in efficiency for a typical a/c motor. They should be in the 60-120 CFM/watt. So the 80 is probably right and the 384 is not.

o

Thanks. Perhaps it's a typo in the advertising and the airflow efficiency is 84, but I will follow up with the company to double check. If that's the case, however, is fan V still more efficient? Also, if it helps, fan A has a "premium power 188x25 mm torque-induction motor," and fan V has a "premium power 165x25 mm dc motor."

o

Did you use this resource?

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=find_a_product.showProductGroup&pgw_code=CF

o

A DC motor? What is converting the AC in your house to DC? and how many watts is it consuming?

o

I will check that website, thanks ionized. Re the motor (from the fan website--Monte Carlo, BTW): I don't know anything about dc motors except my sewing machines have them, too, and if they are converted, I don't know what is converting them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here