Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AC/Heater custom filter, UV light - allergies

Posted by downsouth1993 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 10, 11 at 11:21

Hello all,
We have a washable custom size filter, and our ac/heating guy told us because of my dh's allergies should order disposables and also a uv light. The size of the filter is 29.25 X 15.25 X 1. Can people suggest where they purchase custom filters from (I know I have to buy a year supply)? Also whether uv lights really work? and if so what type is the best? Our AC is the Amana Comfort Maker and the heater is a HeatTemp Star - not sure if this is needed. Obviously I don't know much about any of this :-)

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AC/Heater custom filter, UV light - allergies

Two different things

Disposable filters can be purchased at lowes, wal- mart, etc.

A dealer would need to wire and install a uv light

For info, look at ultravation. Just put it in your web browser and go to their site

o

UV light do work! We have had one in both of our last two houses. I would clean the ducts, and install a single tube UV light, there are some inexpensive ones on Ebay( less than 100) and they work great! We use Filtrete Ultra allergen filters, dont skimp on filters, use the best you can afford! But, dont pay for stupidity either... We are looking at installing a Trane or American Standard air cleaner now...

o

ARe there any independent case studies that show significant benefits to UV in ducts?

o

Uv lights have a purpose in a hvac system.

The air is moving far too fast for he uv light to have any effect in the actual airstream of a hvac system.

The real place for a uv light to be effective would be where the light can be directed onto the evaporator coil if one has a/c that is.

The evaporator coil drain pan must also be uv resistant otherwise you can cause problems to the drain pan in your coil.

be carfull about putting more restrictive filter into your filter rack than what you hae now without checking it out with contractor. You could do damage to your heat pump or a/c with a more restrictive filter
Come on over to the link I will provide and do a search for uv light or open a topic of discusssion and you will receive far more knowledge about uv light and different filters

Here is a link that might be useful: Hvac-talk.com

o

Filters are easy to find and UV lights do work - some have power sources that adapt to 115v making install a breeze. We like the Triatomic APCO product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here