Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exposed PEX

Posted by GreenDog194 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 10:52

Our heating contractor installed Runtal wall hung radiators. There is a silver pipe that is threaded to the Runtal radiator. Attached to that, and exposed to light, is the PEX tubing, which then travels through the floor and into the walls and system. I'm worried that the exposed PEX is a problem. It is not covered with anything. I see that UV light degrades the tubing. It is also exposed at carpet level, and I do vacuum.

I want to insist it is fixed before we move back in. I need authoritative support for why this is a problem.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exposed PEX

If the plumber has applied for a permit for this installation then ask the building code official if the code allows exposed PEX tubing. Even if there is no permit, then you will know if the installation is compliant to the current plumbing code. You can insist the plumbing be done to code.

The UV levels inside the house are low, but no one knows how it will affect your installation. I would argue the exposed PEX may fail in the future due to UV exposure, it could be damaged by your vacuum cleaner, and it is does not look good.

o

Good common sense catch......

Use this link for usage and codes. Your local regulations may vary.

http://huduser.org/portal/publications/pex_design_guide.pdf

Note pages 20 and installation on page 77. Generally, pex must have a special black uv protective sleeves when exposed to direct or indirect sunlight. Also, pex can't be used within so many inches of a heating device. Have fun reading.

This post was edited by audiomixer on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 14:36

o

Cover all exposed pex with 'Armaflex', space permitting. This way you insulate the pex and isolate it from UV.

SR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here