Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bishoptf

HVAC Replacement - Trane xl16i opinions

bishoptf
11 years ago

I had a huge posting that somehow didn"t make it through..this will be the shortened version.

I think I have done my homework, here are the details. Existing system has serverd us well ~22 years old. St. Louis location, 1600 sqft home with finished basement, although basement is not conditioned from system, no vents. Manual J's have been done by myself and both contractors. Existing system is accurate for my ratings which came out to 2.7 tons for cooling, they have both rounded up to 3.

I am looking at going with a duel fuel setup, HP and variable speed furnace. Contemplated the xv95 but we tend to keep the house cool and could not see a cost advantage/savings made up for the additional cost.

Looking at Trane xv80 and heres where it gets interesting, xr15, xl15i or xl16i HP. The contractor I have decided to go with has provided the AHRI numbers for each system that I am looking at, I have also found one other combination using a different coil that is a little more efficient.

Here are the AHRI numbers:
and the one I came up with a different Coil

Now the dilemma is that the xl16i is the same price as the xr15 and actually cheaper then the xl15i. This is due to rebates that I can get from my local electric company. However I have read from various places that the 16i is not the best 2 stage unit and doesnt support dehumidfy on demand, although I was reading last night that the newer models may. We do have our fair share of humid weather in the summer so that is my concern.

They will swap new linesets and just a common 4: pleated filter box. The one other thing I wanted was the ability to control a humidifer in the winter via the thermostat and have it set based on the outside temp. He has included the HW IAQ 2 HD Tstat - YTHX9421R5077. Which looks pretty nice and should be able to do dehumidify on demand but not sure if the xl16i supports it.

Tried to hit the high points but looking for opinions on the xl16i vs the other options and see if I have missed anything...hopefully tigerdunes and others can weigh in.

Thanks.

Comments (3)