Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fine Tuning Radian Floor Heating

Posted by java_man (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 10:09

My apartment (1 year old) uses radiant floor heating (and cooling). The system has three thermostats but 7 zones. The overall design is quite good with one glitch - the master bedroom and ensuite bath are on the same thermostat. This is a problem for us because we prefer a cool bedroom but a warm master bath.

The manifold that controls the flow of fluid to the various zones is accessible. If I were to shut off the loop to the master bedroom while leaving the loop to the ensuite bath on, could I keep the bathroom warm while the bedroom stays cooler? If yes, is there any downside to doing it this way?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fine Tuning Radian Floor Heating

could you use the valve to reduce the flow on one loop without completely shutting it off? It's not designed for flow adjustment but you can tweak it a bit to get flow down. It will put more heat into the bathroom loop and less into the bedroom loop. So the answer is yes, this would " keep the bathroom warm while the bedroom stays cooler" and this is your goal: a bathroom warmer than the bedroom.

I'll let others with hydronics expertise contribute as to the impact of completely shutting it off,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here