Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thermostatic Radiator Valves/Adjustable Vents

Posted by daveinjersey (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 10:00

Have a one-pipe steam system. Two rooms get warmer than I'd like - one the finished attic to which all the house's heat naturally rises, and an upstairs room with a treadmill next to a radiator. I've seen This Old House segments showing thermostatic radiator valves that seemed like a good fix. My plumber, though, says that I have adjustable air vents (Varivalves) which should allow me to limit heat just by closing them. He also says thermostatic valves cost hundreds of dollars, which they don't.

Anyone else have experience with adjustable radiator air vents? Do they work for you? Anyone have experience with thermostatic radiator valves? Do they work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thermostatic Radiator Valves/Adjustable Vents

I grew up in a house which had a single pipe steam radiators, but my knowledge in limited.

My understanding is the variable vent allows you to control the speed of which the radiator will become hot from one end to the other. The idea is a big radiator has more air which must be evacuated versus a small radiator. The variable vent allows you to have all the radiators heat up at the same time. I am not sure how effective this will be with your situation. The valve is easy to install so you may want to try this.

I have no experience with the thermostatic valves. I saw a This Old House video where Rich Trethewey installed one on a radiator.

Have you tried turning off the radiators in the rooms which are too warm? You may get enough heat from the surrounding rooms and piping.

Do you have a smaller radiator in another part of the house which you can swap with the radiators in the warm rooms? This is a way of balancing the heat distribution.

Radiator covers will also block some about of heat. They usually are custom made and expensive, but it is something to consider.

o

Thanks for the reply. Already have the VariValves installed. They just don't seem to have any effect, although my plumber had expected they would. Shutting the radiators off entirely might work, but the thermostatic valves mentioned on TOH sound pretty good. Just looking for any feedback on them.

o

goto www.thisoldhouse.com and click on Heating

or

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20258687,00.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here