Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybrid HVAC

Posted by hawkeye2256 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 9:51

We are in the process of collecting bids for our 4450 sft plus 1250 sft finished basement home. GC has quoted 2 hybrid high efficiency HVAC units with 15 seer rating at $30,000. Does this sound reasonable? To me as a layperson, this is getting into geothermal territory. I would appreciate members' input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybrid HVAC

Reasonable or not, spec out what geothermal would cost to see the differential.

First costs are the lowest.

SR

o

Replacement systems or for new construction that includes ductwork? Any zoning controls included?

What is location?

What is your cost/therm for nat gas and cost/kwh for electric? Because of the drop in nat gas prices, dual fuel has become a poor decision in many parts of the country.

Post back.

IMO

o

This is for a new construction including ductwork. Location is central Ohio. Cost of natural gas this winter is around $1.45/ccf and electricity about 7c/kwh.
As for zoning, I don't know the details but am going to get it. Thanks.

o

Yep. DF would be an advantage.

You would want high eff var speed furnaces and high eff heat pumps.

Can't really say about pricing. Unfortunately, GCs like to use new HVAC as a large profit center.

IMO

o

Dbl post.

Sorry

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 12:31

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here