Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Light on Circuit Board

Posted by publiusforum (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 9:11

Folks,

OK, I am having gas furnace troubles (naturally, it's the coldest day of the year here AND it's a Sunday! Do furnaces ever go out during the week?)

The heater begins its cycle. The gas jets turn on but only for about 30 seconds when they shut off. Then the blower blows cold air because the gas jets are now off. Then the whole things shuts off after blowing cold air for a few minutes. Minutes later it starts it all over again.

A red light on the circuit board is on solid. No blinking.

Who can help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Light on Circuit Board

need alot more info..what make model?
how old,is it 90 percent effficient(flue pipe is plastic)(pvc)

o

It says Gibson on the access panel.

It is about 4 years old

Flue pipe? I see no plastic anything in there. All metal.

According to the little paper inside it says that the solid red light means "false flame or gas valve relay shorted."

o
pipe

pipe comimg out of top or side of furnace is it plastic or metal,need complete data from furnace model # etc

o
furnace

try this...is there a switch near the furnace that powers the furnace?if so,turn switch off,leave it off for 3-4 minutes,turn back on and see what happens.if you cannot find a switch you need to find the breaker that poweres the furnace,and do the same,off-3-4 minutes,and on see waht happens

o
model info

All pipes coming in or out of furnace are metal. No plastic at all.

There is no obvious model number on anything.

The access door says Gibson and that is all. No model info.

Inside the access door the schematic says "for 78+, 80+,90+, and 93+ furnaces"

Now, on the side there is a small sticker and there is this number- 903059K

Can I assume that this means this is a model 90?

o
turned off- turned on

Seabee!

Hey, turned it off the way you said. Turned it all back on after 5 minutes and now gas jets stay on and hot air blows!

I also cleaned off the metal rod that sits in the gas jet to gauge the gas jet.

Thanks for the tip.

What worries me, though, is that the solid red light is still on at the circuit board. Could I still have a problem?

o
sensor

normally a solid red light indicates normal conditions,you have to see if there are any other lights,green or amber. i was gonna tell you to clean the flame sensor next,but it appears you did that,hopefully it will hold for ya,it would not be a bad idea to get a new flame sensor and have it on standby...

o
amber light

Well, while it is running and the heat is coming out, there is a solid amber light on. Is that good?

o
furnace

normally solid light on means normal opeation,flashing is bad.hopefully it will stay running,monitor it and if it goes out again,turn of power,wait,and turn on again,at least this will keeep ya warm for a little while.

o
looks good

Thanks for the help everyone.

My wife and kids thank you... but I thank you even more because now my wife can shut the heck up!

LOL

o

"My wife and kids thank you... but I thank you even more because now my wife can shut the heck up!"

Are you sure 'heck' is really the word you wanted to use?

SR

o

Soild amber light on a Gibson (parent company-Nordyne) means check/replace flame sensor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here