Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
publiusforum

Red Light on Circuit Board

publiusforum
16 years ago

Folks,

OK, I am having gas furnace troubles (naturally, it's the coldest day of the year here AND it's a Sunday! Do furnaces ever go out during the week?)

The heater begins its cycle. The gas jets turn on but only for about 30 seconds when they shut off. Then the blower blows cold air because the gas jets are now off. Then the whole things shuts off after blowing cold air for a few minutes. Minutes later it starts it all over again.

A red light on the circuit board is on solid. No blinking.

Who can help?

Comments (12)

• seabee570
    16 years ago

need alot more info..what make model?
    how old,is it 90 percent effficient(flue pipe is plastic)(pvc)

• publiusforum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It says Gibson on the access panel.

It is about 4 years old

Flue pipe? I see no plastic anything in there. All metal.

According to the little paper inside it says that the solid red light means "false flame or gas valve relay shorted."

• seabee570
    16 years ago

pipe comimg out of top or side of furnace is it plastic or metal,need complete data from furnace model # etc

• seabee570
    16 years ago

try this...is there a switch near the furnace that powers the furnace?if so,turn switch off,leave it off for 3-4 minutes,turn back on and see what happens.if you cannot find a switch you need to find the breaker that poweres the furnace,and do the same,off-3-4 minutes,and on see waht happens

• publiusforum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All pipes coming in or out of furnace are metal. No plastic at all.

There is no obvious model number on anything.

The access door says Gibson and that is all. No model info.

Inside the access door the schematic says "for 78+, 80+,90+, and 93+ furnaces"

Now, on the side there is a small sticker and there is this number- 903059K

Can I assume that this means this is a model 90?

• seabee570
    16 years ago

normally a solid red light indicates normal conditions,you have to see if there are any other lights,green or amber. i was gonna tell you to clean the flame sensor next,but it appears you did that,hopefully it will hold for ya,it would not be a bad idea to get a new flame sensor and have it on standby...

• publiusforum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, while it is running and the heat is coming out, there is a solid amber light on. Is that good?

• seabee570
    16 years ago

normally solid light on means normal opeation,flashing is bad.hopefully it will stay running,monitor it and if it goes out again,turn of power,wait,and turn on again,at least this will keeep ya warm for a little while.

• publiusforum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help everyone.

My wife and kids thank you... but I thank you even more because now my wife can shut the heck up!

LOL

• fsq4cw
    16 years ago

"My wife and kids thank you... but I thank you even more because now my wife can shut the heck up!"

Are you sure 'heck' is really the word you wanted to use?

SR

• zl700
    16 years ago

Soild amber light on a Gibson (parent company-Nordyne) means check/replace flame sensor.