Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
listener_gw

Programmable bathroom vent control suggestion

listener
13 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions for a programmable control for the bathroom vents, which are the primary source of air exchange in our new home. My electrician suggested the Aube TI133 7-day programmable controller, but I would like to know if there is something else that you recommend. Bonus points for ease of use.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

what do you want to exactly program?

If the fan uses a standard 24 volt (typical for most thermostats) control, then you have a lot of options.

You can have it wired to hook up with a humidity sensor, to be on when the lights are on, to run automatically certain times of day, etc.

• listener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have two fans in the house, both Panasonic Whisper Lites. I assume they use standard 24v controls. I guess I'd like both of them to do the following:

*turn on if the humidity is too high.

*turn off when the humidity returns to acceptable levels.

*be turned on and off by someone who uses the toilet, for privacy and ventilation. maybe they can be turned on and then automatically turn off after a period of time instead of needing to be turned off again.

*possibly have another timed run to circulate air through the house at regular intervals.

Are these possible with one switch?

Thanks!

• veesubotee
    13 years ago

"I'm looking for suggestions for a programmable control for the bathroom vents, which are the primary source of air exchange in our new home."

Exchange is a 2-way street. Where is the replacement air coming from? Infiltration?

V

• thull
    13 years ago

I don't think a Panasonic fan is going to have 24V controls. I've been wrong before, but I doubt it this time. I know the Whisper Green fans have some options with regard to motion or humidity switching, but a standard Whisper Lite likely just has on/off. You could tie this into a timer switch but it isn't going to get all the functionality you describe.

Even their ERV has strictly on/off power feed. You'd need to set it up with a line voltage humidistat (120V) to work. You could do this with your fan, but you're assuming that venting with the fan is going to remove humidity. I live in GA and if I had one it would just make the fan run from April to about November.

Personally, I'd keep it simple and put in either a motion switch with a manual bypass and timed run. Or I'd put in a preset timer switch (we have the 5-10-15-30 minute Leviton ones for our Panasonic bath fans). That way you just push the button and walk out.

If you don't need to run the fan, you don't (especially since you're going to use energy to heat/cool air that infiltrates to make up the air you exhaust). Do you really want the fan to run every time someone walks into the bathroom? If you stink up the bathroom, but you're the last person in the house (and headed out), do you really care?

Here's a motion sensor switch: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=2116çion=17219&minisite=10022

Here is a link that might be useful: Leviton preset timer switches

• listener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wouldn't need a motion-sensor switch for people entering the bathroom. The countdown timer is a great idea for when people use the bathroom and want to turn on the fan but forget later to turn it off. Is there any product that combines such a function with the programmability of the Aube?

• airstarsolutions
    13 years ago

Honeywell has a great new timers , HVC part number...

• tnissly_mckeegroup_net
    12 years ago

I just happened to find this SmartExhaust bath fan/light switch/delay timer/ventilation controller information this morning

Here is a link that might be useful: SmartExhaust controller