Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talon2678

Trane Quote: XL18i and XV95

Talon2678
10 years ago

Greetings!

We are currently in the process of getting two systems quoted for our home. We recently had an energy evaluation inspection on our home and they suggested that we get new dual fuel systems amongst other things. I've done quite a bit of research and am trying to catch up on pricing.

House Information:
Downstairs: 2100 sqft
Upstairs: 1050 sqft
Age of current system: 21+ years old (except downstairs furnace which is 7~ years old.)
Current downstairs: 3 ton Trane 10 seer unit with a xr90 gas furnace
Upstairs: 2 ton Trane 10 seer unit with an xe78 gas furnace.

We contacted a vendor and they suggested the following:

Downstairs: They did a load calc and came up with a 4 ton unit. (Ducting will be upgraded for larger size, needs upgrading anyways)
Heat Pump: XL18i - 4TWX8048A1000
Furnace: XV95 - TDH2C100A9V4
Honeywell whole house media filter
Temp sensor install
Thermostat: Nest gen 2 (Pre-existing)
Price installed: $10,608

Upstairs:
Heat Pump: XR15 - 4TWR5024E
Furnace: XV80
Honeywell whole house media filter
Temp sensor install
Thermostat: Next gen 2 (pre-existing)
Price installed: $7,007

Multi system purchase discount: $1,200
Total for both systems installed: $16,415

Does that seem reasonable?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments (3)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What is your location?

What is your price on electric and nat gas?

DF is no longer as popular and cost effective as it once was due to higher electric rates and cheap nat gas. Weigh this carefully.

You definitely don't need a 100 KBTU XV95 furnace.
    Drop to the 80 K size with 4 ton rated blower.
    I would want to see in writing the load calc that indicates a 4 ton condenser for downstairs system. Review carefully.

What Mdl evap coils were quoted? Were you given the AHRI matching number for each system?

I assume you have verified the compatibility of existing thermostat with new equipment.

I always recommend existing ductwork system be thoroughly looked at and not overlooked as it usually is. Any hot/cold spots? Adequate returns? Leaks? Size? Insulation properties?

Even with discounts, I think pricing is high. Be aware Trane usually has a spring rebate program.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 10:50

• mike_home
    10 years ago

This company did an energy evaluation and recommended to increase the down stairs AC from 3 to 4 tons with a 100K BTU furnace? It seems over sized based on the information on the information you provided.

Have you reviewed the load calculations? Did they explain them and do they make sense to you?

• Talon2678
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys, let's try to answer your questions:

Electric: 8.509 cents / kwh

Gas:
    Winter 0-30 Therms* $1.2726
    Winter 31+ Therms $1.0604
    Summer 0-50 Therms $1.0939
    Summer 51+ Therms $0.9753

Thanks for the advice on the furnace, that is something that I overlooked completely.

I will ask for the load calc that she performed. I have not reviewed it, but figured it would make sense, as our unit seems to struggle to keep the temperature in either hot or cold seasons.

Our entire downstairs seems to stay cold at around 68ð and there are cold spots in our master bedroom ,that is downstairs, where there seems to be no flow from our system coming out of our vents. Our duct work in our crawl space is a mess, it's definitely degraded over the past 20 years, the upstairs isn't in bad condition, some repairs are needed, but the crawl space needs serious attention.

The only model numbers that I received were as follows:

Downstairs:
    Outdoor Model# 4TWX8048A1000
    Furance# TDH2C100A9V4

Upstairs:
    Outdoor Model #4TWR5024E
    Furnace Model#TUD2B060A9V3

As far as MDL evap coils, there is no mention of that. Is there an outdoor coil, indoor coil, and furnace still? I heard from an alternate source that the heat pump replaced the indoor coil and it wasn't required anymore, was that some misinformation?

As far as the AHRI matching number, I understand the words, but not the meaning. I will ask, as she did mention using ahrinet.org.

Thanks again for the outlook, just trying to wrap my head around this whole system. We got a quote from a lennox distributor and they matched relatively closely, within a few thousand, but for smaller and less efficient units, so I figured the correlation was semi correct. The only thing that looks a little suspect on the pricing, in my eyes, is the installation cost of $1,500 for each unit (so $3,000 total), listed as (Install Includes: control wiring, duct transitions, drain pan w/ safety switch, condensate materials, system start up and job clean up).

Thanks again guys, this is a tremendous help in my education.