Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcflyer

Trane heat pump fan noise

dcflyer
10 years ago

I live in a dc row house. A newly-installed Trane XR 17 heatpump is currently located in an alcove between my house and my neighbor's house - surrounded on three sides by three stories of house. It is very noisy in this alcove and my son's bedroom is above the area. It mostly sounds like fan noise rather than compressor noise.

When meeting with the installer I emphasized that we needed something quiet and they assured me this would be very quiet. However, it is actually louder than the 15 year old Goodman it replaced. I'm guessing it's louder because it's moving so much more air.

Any ideas for addressing the noise issue? Unfortunately, because of a deck, we don't have anyplace to really move it. Since it sounds mostly like fan noise, would one of the side venting Trane units (xli18) be quieter?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• klem1
    10 years ago

Our advice would free but following it will cost you plenty for trial runs on equipment. If quite operation was a condition in buying the unit,the installer needs to handle it for you.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

The source of the noise needs to be accurately identified and several db readings at location need to be taken.

Something is wrong with the install if unit is noisier than a 15 yr old Goodman.

IMO

• dcflyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, klem1.

I raised my concerns regarding noise with the sales guy when he came out to make a proposal and then with the installer the day it was going to be installed. Each time I was assured that this unit would be much quieter than my old one.

Within a couple of days of installation in November, I contacted the installer to complain. After doing some exploration, they proposed ordering a Trane soundblanket and said that it should make a difference. The soundblanket took almost two months to get installed (late December), and didn't make a discernible difference.

After I complained that the soundblanket didn't help, they came out last week. During that visit, they said that since the unit appears to comply with Trane's reported noise ratings on Trane's website - although with my son's window open, it pretty much hits the reported 74dbs using an iphone app (it's actually louder above the unit than next to it) - they can't replace it under warranty etc. and they can't resell it as new equipment so there's not much they can do.

They have offered to move the unit to my driveway, but that is about 25' from its current location, would take up a fair amount of space in the driveway, and runs the risk of theft etc. unless I build a fence around it.

Any ideas of how to convince the installers to try another unit?

Thanks so much in advance.

• klem1
    10 years ago

As tiger said,the issue should be addressed using science and technology ,not guess,gosh and by gosh. I would do an end around on the dealer going directly to the factory rep. Why is the boy's window open while a/c is running?

• sktn77a
    10 years ago

Have you unequivocally determined if it is the outside heatpump unit making the noise or the indoor air handler?

• dcflyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SKTN77a - Definitely the outside unit. The air handler is very quiet (other than some rumbling in one of the return ducts that the installer also seems unable to address).

Klem1 - his window isn't usually open when the hat pump is running obviously - I just wanted to test and see how loud the sound was outside, three stories up from the unit. We have pretty good windows too, but it sounds like an a/c wall unit is running in his room whenever the heat pump is running. How would I go about making contact with the factory rep?

And tigerdune, what tools/tests would you recommend that they perform?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You need a db reading independent of your installer for comparison purposes. I have no experience of the db meter iphone app. What did it read?

And as said previously, you will never get me to believe an old 15 yr Goodman condenser is quieter than a properly installed XR17.

Take reading several times over the day and note outdoor temp at the times. Just to see if there is any variance.

IMO