Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottyjay2

One cold room - ducted electric heater?

scottyjay2
13 years ago

One room in my house (the office) is built on top of a patio with three exposed walls to the outside. I am going thru a renovation now of much of my house and planned to insulate the office better (assuming it was not well insultated). As it turns out, the office was insulated around all walls, ceiling and above the patio floor. There is a single supply line (fairly small) going into the room, but it seems like it should have been enough. The new insulation will be better R value and plan to use blown in cellulose instead of batting.

The GC is concerned that it may not be enough to keep the room warm enough in winter (we live in Northeast - NJ). He has suggested using an electric heater that is built into the duct work with its own fan and thermostat.

Do you think this is a good idea? Will it do enough? We need about 5 degrees warmer in that one room. Are there other ideas? We do not want to use exposed baseboard electric because we have 3 small children and do not like the appearance.

It does not seem to be as much of a problem in the summer with the Air Conditioning, but if there were a solution to address both we would consider. The heat is the bigger issue.

It looks like it will be challenging to get another supply line into the room, but I have not explored that option yet. I am guessing the HVAC person was suggesting the lower cost alternative given my complaint is primarily with heat

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm