Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrier - 58MVC or 59MN7?

Posted by attofarad (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 0:21

My remodel has stretched out to the point that the system I'd been quoted -- the 58MVC -- is being phased out, and the installer is suggesting the 59MN7, which seems similar except that it is a modulating burner rather than 3-stage. The newer one is also shorter by 5-6 inches, but I don't have a space constraint.

The installer will check to see whether the 58MVC is still available. It certainly meets my needs, as would the 59MN7. The price difference is trivial (couple of hundred bucks), but still would probably never be recovered.

Should I go with the older system, which has proven itself for a few years, or go with the new 59MN7 ? Which one is likely to last longer and need less maintenance or repair?

Thanks,
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrier - 58MVC or 59MN7?

Attored

What is your location?

You may get marginal better comfort and perhaps small savings with the mod. I do think it's important on the mods that they be able to modulate both up and down based on demand, not just up.

IMO

o

The 58MVC is a very nice furnace when paired with the Infinity controller. You will be happy with it if the contractor is able to get it.

The 59MN7 has a stepper motor to control the gas valve. This an additional moving part which may be prone to failure. You can argue it is less reliable, but there is no history on this. You get a 10 parts warranty from Carrier, and you could purchase a 10 year labor also from Carrier in case you have any concerns.

o

Thanks for the responses. I'm in a pretty mild area (nights barely hit freezing), but building construction from 60's is not well sealed. Long L-shaped one story, will have a single furnace with two zones.

How do I know whether it can modulate down as well as up (the 59MN7)? It would have the Infinity controllers for either furnace.

o

I would think the 59MN7 can modulate up and down. The 58MVC does this with three stages (low, med, high). The decisions are made by the Infinity controller, so I assume both furnaces would operate in the same manner.

This would be a good question for the contractor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here