Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mipayne

Problem with thermostat for wood boiler

mipayne
12 years ago

My HVAC friend had me wire my wood boiler thermostat as shown in the photo below. I added lines to show clarity and aid someone in explaining to me what is the fix. As soon as I turn on the heat on the wood boiler thermostat the fuse in my air handler burns out. I ensured the heatpump thermostat was switched to the off position. I have a goodman heatpump and air handler. When the temp drops, I need the blower in my air handler to switch on, but not the compressor. Also, I need 24 VAC sent to the wood boiler relay, to close a circuit, turning on the circulation pump. I have searched around for many hours trying to find the solution, and today I gave up and went to my friends house and he drew out what I was to do. Well, that did not work, or I misunderstood.

Thank you ahead of time for your help.

From February 2, 2012[/url]
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Problem with thermostat for wood boiler

The picture is too small for me to see any detail. When I enlarge it, it becomes too distorted. What brand and model is the thermostat? It has to be a 2 stage thermostat to do what you want done. At first guess, it sounds as if the relay for the fan to come on in the aux mode is also tripping the relay for the fan to come on at the same time in the COOLING mode, which is 2 different speeds being energized at the same time. That would cause the fuse to blow. Make sure you are not cross-connecting to a cooling mode terminal. Check the thermostat instructions to see if there should be/not be a jumper installed somewhere.

Post a Follow-Up
Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

A copy of your follow-up will automatically be emailed to the original poster.
Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Comment (1)