Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duct work collapsed

Posted by kmmccauley (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 23:59

We are in the process of purchasing our first home. We found one that we liked, made an offer, and then got an ispection. The inspector has found that all the ducts which run through the slab in this one story house have sand in them and are collapsed or in the process of doing so. Some of the ducts are completely blocked. In addition to this the furnace and air system don't seem to be installed properly. Our inspector has recommended that we get a whole new heat and air system with new duct work to run overhead in the attic. The estimate he gave us on the report for this was 5,000.
Doesn't that seem low? What causes duct work to collapse in the first place? The home was built in 1979, so I know it is no spring chicken, but it is not THAT old! Also what the heck is a flue pipe? It says on the inspectors report that it is disconnected in the attic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duct work collapsed

The duct work is a thin guage metal (30/26ga.)and has
probably rusted and collapsed causing sand/gravel to fill
that void.
Putting system in attic is good option.I would recommend
90% gas unit, direct vent. As far as price, ask several
contractors for cost.
If flue pipe is disconnected in attic must be corrected
serious co issue.

o

Hopefully the offer was contingent upon the results of the inspection. It's a buyers market and the cost of repairs should be negotiated into the offer. Get several estimates that list out exactly what will be installed for equipment, supply and return registers and grilles (Count), general ductwork layout, controls and any electrical work. If they need to open up the walls or ceilings ask about that too. Ask about their License, bonding/Insurance and references. If it is not in writing, it is not in the contract.

o

Inspecting the ductwork interior with a camera should be possible. I saw some slab houses years ago where the buried sheet-metal ductwork was encased in concrete before the slab was poured. Not necessarily energy efficient, but durable.

o

Thank you for you input about the heat and air system. It was especially interesting to here about the co2 problem with a disconnected flue pipe. I hate to think what would have happened ig that had not been found and we had moved in there with our two young children!

o

The problem is CO, carbon monoxide, results from incomplete combustion of carbon. CO2 is the desirable byproduct of complete combustion. It is the gas that gives Pepsi it's fizz.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here