Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cofloater

humidifier cuts off furnace burner prematurely

cofloater
11 years ago

After I installed the copper water supply lines and PVC drain lines, I had a contractor install two Honeywell TrueEASE HE200 humidifiers on my two older SnyderGeneral furnaces. They are simple humidifiers with the only electrical component being the water solenoid. One humidifier works fine. The second one works but it consistently cuts out the furnace burner before the blower even comes on (less than minute). So there is a never-ending short cycle of one-minute burner only (with humidifier water solenoid energized), two minutes fan only, everything off for two minutes, then gas valve and humidifier solenoid both energized again until the gas valve prematurely closes and the burner turns off, etc. As soon as I disconnect the solenoid to the humidifier, the furnace will run normal cycles of 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes or whatever it takes to satisfy the thermostat. I have 27.2 volts to both gas valves when calling for heat. Both humidifier solenoids cause about a 1.5 voltage drop. The problem furnace's 24 volt circuit (gas valve and water solenoid) pulls a little more amperage than the combo that works well but ohms law tells me I am still only using about 14 watts between the valve and solenoid on the problem furnace and the 40VA transformer should handle that fine. (.2 amps gas valve plus .33 amps by the solenoid times 27.2 volts = about 14 watts).
Why will the gas valve not stay open when sharing its 24 VAC with the water solenoid? Am I barking up the wrong tree by thinking it is an electrical problem?
thanks,
cofloater

Comments (8)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

What are the voltages on each of the transformers when the humidifier and furnace are both running?

• Tinmantu
    11 years ago

Since you said older furnaces, are they both on digital stats? If not, it will mess with the heat anticipator if both are running at the same time. If digital, then I'd suggest an independent transformer and have a current sensing relay.

• cofloater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike_Home,
    Each transformer measures 27.2 VAC when the furnaces are off. The furnace that cycles properly is 25.9 with burner on and water solenoid open. The furnace in which the burner will not stay on measured 25.7 one day and 25.9 another with both gas valve and solenoid energized.

tinmatu,
    Both are on separate mercury stats. These furnaces are completely separate from each other. They are fed by separate breakers and serve separate areas of the building. Their control circuits are on independent transformers. I only mentioned the second one to point out that the same model humidifier and same model furnace work fine together in one situation. In the second application, the voltage drops to zero to the gas valve after a minute if I leave the humidifier solenoid wired in.

thanks guys, cofloater

• Tinmantu
    11 years ago

A mercury stat on the same transformer as the gas valve will cause problems. They have the heat anticipators that I referred to. I'd consider upgrading to a digital stat, rather than going thru the extra relays. I didn't mean the two different furnaces, meant that running the gas valve and humidifier at the same time doesn't work well with mercury stats.

• cofloater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tinmantu,
    You nailed it!! The heat anticipators were the first thing I thought of right after problems started following installation; but setting them a little longer made no difference and I went about further troubleshooting and my mind got lost in other stuff. I changed the T-stat out on the problem unit to a digital T-stat and it immediately solved the short cycle problem. I will now change out the second T-stat as that seems to be a bit irregular also and perhaps short cycling some also.
    thanks much!
    cofloater

• Bill Andrews
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So I’m having the same problem. I have a Honeywell digital stat, two zones and hz322 controller hooked up to the EIM.

long story short, exact same issue but I’m with a digital stat .... As soon as I disconnect or turn off the humidifier, the furnace will run normal cycles. i love my humidifier bc we live in Colorado where there is no humidity snd really want to be able to run it.

please note I have disconnected the zones as I want heat going to the entire house. Even with the zones on, same issue...

I have also replaced my O2 sensor and control board on the furnace ...

can I adjust any settings on my digital tstat

• mike_home
    3 years ago

What is the model of the thermostat? I don't think there are any adjustment setting that will solve this problem. but in the installation manual may have something that could be changed. If this a WiFi thermostat without C wire connection, then that could be a source of the problem.

You could try a simple experiment with the thermostat wiring. Disconnect the R and W wires from the thermostat and tie them together. This would initiate a call for heat. If the furnace runs properly then that would suggest a thermostat issue. If you still observe the problem, then it is something else.

I would offer the same advice as I did 8 years ago of measuring voltages as method of trouble shooting.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm