Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hayden2_gw

Generators: portable vs standy

hayden2
11 years ago

My huaband and I are still reeling from the visit of our dear friend Sandy. We lost our power for 7 days in 2011, and now 8 days in 2012. So we feel we should finally do something.

If we were going to be in this house for many years into the future, we would get a standby generator, without question. However, we plan to move in 3 years when we both hit 65.

We have to decide between a standby unit and a portable unit. From the research I've done for our house size, it sounds like a decision between $15,000 versus about $2,000. It's basically, it seems, a decision of the expense of a standby, versus 2 hours in line every day to buy enough gas to power the cheaper portable.

Any thoughts will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (18)

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

hayden2,

I have been researching portable propane powered electric generators. Also, I have been researching the availability of propane during area wide power outages. (I do not have natural gas available.)

Propane is generally safer and easier to store than gasoline. With the anticipated increase in portable gasoline fueled generators, gasoline is going to be in even greater demand during area wide power outages - propane not so much of an increase.

A 20# propane bottle - typically used to supply a grill on your porch - will power a portable generator for about the same duration as 4 1/2 or 5 gallons of gasoline. Propane bottles commonly come in 20#, 40#, and 100# sizes.

The 100# size is not suitable for my use as it is too heavy for me to lug around and also when transporting it, it needs to be vertical. (Not going to happen in my dodge mini-van.

I am going with 2-3 20# bottles (which will also be used for grilling) and two 40# bottles. YMMV

Propane has some storage restrictions, just as gasoline does. However, propane will remain usable essentially indefinitely. Arguably, it is cleaner to burn and will not foul your carburetor.

There are options for propane only, or propane OR gasoline, or "tri-fuel" - gasoline, propane, OR Natural gas.

You will pay a little more for these options, and the selection of makes and models is somewhat less than gasoline models.

Another possibility, is to purchase a kit to modify a gasoline generator to burn propane. With many models, the installation of the kit is quite simple - in some other cases, quite complicated.

Again, I have three sources for propane that have portable generators available to keep them open and in business - including two Rental Centers.

Also, I have explained to my neighbors what I am going to do and suggested that they might want to share any propane they have so I can help to keep their frozen foods safe - although they may need their propane for grilling.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 10:20

• veesubotee
    11 years ago

Aren't there companies that make home delivery (fill your tank from theirs)of propane? I've seen pictures where homes had large tanks permanently installed outside their house.

V

• fsq4cw
    11 years ago

I would consider a diesel generator with an oil furnace storage tank and run it on heating oil.

SR

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

veesubotee,

Yes there are firms that will deliver propane to your home. Generally there are LOTS of restrictions. Many will require you to lease their tank and sign a multi-year contract. This arrangement works for many when they heat the home and make hot water and cook using propane. Also, could work to support a whole house permanent generator installation if NG were not available.

I was addressing the case of a PORTABLE generator.

• hayden2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are helpful comments - thanks. Now I need to do research to understand all of them. I never thought of propane, since I wasn't familiar with it before.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

If you use fuel oil (diesel) you will have to maintain the fuel supply. I am pretty sure that means pumping it out to replace it periodically unless you have fuel oil heat. That seems like quite a mess.

• fsq4cw
    11 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but diesels can run on heating oil and it's mainly for that reason that fuel oil (diesel) for trucks and heating oil are different colors so that if a diesel vehicle is stopped on a roadway for inspection the color of the fuel alone will determine which is being used and if all the road taxes have been paid. At least that's what they do around here.

My sister's country house has an Onan generator that coupled to a diesel tractor engine, all manufactured by Onan. It's feed with heating oil (If I'm not mistaken, why pay the road taxes? It's not going anywhere.) from an oil furnace tank. The system is used infrequently but is reliable.

Boaters should not have to pay 'road taxes' on gasoline either but that's a whole other conversation.

SR

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

If you have the $$, go for it.

I live near exit 41 of the AC Expr. We didn't lose power this year and I don't think we did last year. Had a relative with a baby come up in 2011 when her place in Galloway was out for a few days.

Parents, at exit 67 GSP were out for about 2 days this year. We took them my generator and some gas.

Consider that a storm that takes out power for a hundred mile radius is quite rare. People from up near my mom could have driven the hour to here (and maybe closer) and found gas. No lines to speak of even. I'm suggesting that 2 storms 2 years in a row doesn't mean it will be a yearly event. In fact, I would expect that most of the weak trees etc have been weeded out by now.

I would get a few large gas cans to keep on hand (and don't wait until the storm is predicted to get those cans!) These storms don't generally appear out of nowhere (the large storms where gas can be scarce) so you'd have warning. Those cans will get you by until you can drive to get more. That is unless you have some need to power everything in your home like an ordinary day. I was amazed by the images of the lines, people should have just driven further and they'd have found places without lines! Maybe the radio stations should have put the word out about that.

I can understand your concern, but I think part of the decision depends on the investment you want to make. For $13000 I'd stand in line, especially if you're moving in 3 years.

As I said, it probably depends on your income bracket. $13k is a year of college tuition, or a serious downpayment on a nice car, or a few nice vacations, or new cabinets and counters in the kitchen, or a new roof, or new hvac. All things I'd rather buy than a generator, but that's just me.

I forgot, you could also take a mini vacation (Poconos in summer, myrtle beach in fall) next time until the power comes back!

• hayden2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Right now I'm leaning very heavily toward getting a portable propane generator.

cindywhitall, I understand what you're saying about people being able to drive only an hour away and being able to get gas. However, that's diving a total of two hours, and expending gas while you're driving. The fear people had was that they didn't know where the gas was, so they could have spent an hour's worth of fuel, and not find any on the other end. And two hours in the car, using fuel, versus two hours on line, not using fuel, didn't seem a really huge win to many people.

I do agree with the rest of your analysis, and have pretty much decided against a standby.

In addition to the lower cost here in this house, I'd be able to take a portable generator with me to a new house, which means lower cost there too (since I never ever want to go through a week's loss of power again!).

Thanks so much for your post, and for everyone's help.

This post was edited by hayden2 on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 8:48

• Dave2425
    11 years ago

We bought a place in 2011 that had a 23kw Katolight propane generator installed in the shop and hooked up to a 1000 gallon tank. The previous owner said it will run for about 4 months on a tank of propane. I've only used it for a few hours last fall when we were without power for 6 hours and it worked pretty slick. Hopefully I don't have to use it for an extended period of time but it's nice to know it's there.

I live in North Dakota so we don't have to worry about hurricanes but we do get an occasional blizzard and/or ice storm. Storms have knocked out power for weeks at a time in the past.

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

Hayden, true about taking it with you, good point especially when you know it's not your forever home. M parents bought my portable from me ( it was new) so they'd have one and we didn't have to transport it home. They'll be moving within a few years too. I decided to downsize to a 3750 for my replacement. I also cross my fingers that me, my brother and my parents don't all lose it long term if it happens again...

As far as the lines, I'd rather be in a car than standing for two hours! But I see your point. Were there limits at those stations? Could you get as much as you want once you reached the pump? Hopefully you can put together a list of phone numbers of people wo live somewhere else to call and see the power/gas situation before you drive.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

1. gasoline can not be stored for long periods. It will break down.
    2. diesel/fuel oil can be stored for long periods if precautions are taken to keep moisture from entering the tank.
    3. propane can be stored for a long time outdoors.

For a 3-yr timeframe, I'd look toward a portable unit. Gas could work if you prepare yourself ahead of time (fill up the tanks). Afterwards, you could put your unused gas into your car.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

I can siphon fuel from one of my vehicles. I have not tried the other one, nor do I know how general that is.

• hayden2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cindywhitall, the power outage affected such a large area, that the problem was felt in a wide radius. And it was several days before we got phone service back! So communication was not exactly good. A station with service on Tuesday might not have service on Wednesday. I heard the reason was that, once the gas stations got power back, there were only so many police that could be dedicated to monitoring the lines. So the police switched around from station to station rather than having one gas station get all the sales. Police had to monitor the lines because people's tempers started to boil a bit by the 3rd to 4th day.

You were allowed to fill up the gas tank in your car, and for those big red containers for generators, you could fill as many as you could carry. That was it.

And this was a relatively upper middle class suburb. I can't even begin to imagine what those poor folks in Long Island who were without power or even a house, for weeks.

If you haven't been part of something like this, let me tell you it's quite an experience.

I really appreciate everyone offering their help. Thanks so much, dave2425 and weedmeister! I will share your comments with the rest of my family, too, so you're helping a lot of people.

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

Post deleted by SaltiDawg

This post was edited by saltidawg on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 6:42

• jca1
    11 years ago

You could buy a gasoline portable generator from anywhere, and a propane adaptor plate conversion kit from uscarb. This kit will allow the use of propane or gasoline.

• lakesider_2007
    11 years ago

We have two homes, one in VA and the other in FL; both are doublewides. I had been using a portable for years in VA, with great success, so I did the same here in FL. At the first hint of a storm, I go and fill up the 5 gallon containers, along with both vehicles. Longest out time, in VA, was about 5 days. I like the portability, low cost of purchase, and minimal maintenance. Oh yeah, I have a friend in OH, he has Standby...maintenance, maintenance problems, but it works from propane.
    One thing I have been able to use in ethanol free gas, it makes all the difference in maintaining a generator.

• lakesider_2007
    11 years ago

We have two homes, one in VA and the other in FL; both are doublewides. I had been using a portable for years in VA, with great success, so I did the same here in FL. At the first hint of a storm, I go and fill up the 5 gallon containers, along with both vehicles. Longest out time, in VA, was about 5 days. I like the portability, low cost of purchase, and minimal maintenance. Oh yeah, I have a friend in OH, he has Standby...maintenance, maintenance problems, but it works from propane.
    One thing I have been able to use in ethanol free gas, it makes all the difference in maintaining a generator.