Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tenmile_gw

Lennox vs Trane vs Rheem Heat Pump systems

TenMile
12 years ago

Hi there,

Hoping to get some assistance in making a final decision on a replacement heat pump. Today, we have a 30 year old Carrier 2.5 Ton 3 part system that's on it's last legs. During our last cold snap, the outdoor unit was frozen solid which likely means it's low on Freon and frankly it's time.. The old unit is likely a little small as the home has had 2 additions adding about 500 sqft since it was installed.

Choice is between a Trane XL15i and a Lennox XP17 with a 3rd choice of a Rheem RPRL-JEC. I am comfortable with the Lennox/Trane installation companies and the pricing is within $30 of one another. The Rheem is coming in at about $700 higher.

Home is roughly 2200sqft located in the Pacific NorthWest. Our primary use of the unit is for heating. We will generally only turn the unit on for 5-10 days a year for cooling maximum as we rarely get evening temperatures above 75F in the summer. We've had 4 quotes thus far, and all have verified that our existing ducting is sufficient without any substantial modification.

Here are the comparision models -- all units come with a 15kw secondary heat option on the air handler:

Option A:

XL15i Model 'TRA 4TWX5036A1000A

Indoor Unit Model TAM7AOC36H31SA

T-Stat Trane Vision Pro 8000 3H/2C

16.25 SEER (quoted) 9 HSPF

12 Year Parts and Labour Warranty!

Option B:

Lennox XP17-30

Indoor Unit CBX32MV

T-Stat: Comfort Sense 7000

16.2 SEER (quoted) 9 HSPF

10 year parts + 3 year labour warranty

Option C: not quite as comfortable with this installer or price

Rheem RPRL-JEC 4 Ton (model number not provided)

Indoor unit RHPL 4 Ton

T-Stat: Rheem 500 series

16 SEER (quoted) 9 HSPF

Warranty info not provided yet

If I can get some feedback on the pro's con's and fit ir anything else I should consider it would be appreciated.

Trane

Pro's - much better warranty

- good reviews here and elsewhere

Con's

- poor t-stat option

- no secondary heat lockout (manual only)

Lennox

Pro's - outdoor sensor with programmable differential lockout

- solar ready

Con's

- warranty substantially worse

Comments (4)