Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lubricating blower fan

Posted by stockrex (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 22:24

Greeting from west michigan,
carrier, 95% eff, 19 yrs old.
my furnace blower needs 30w oil to lube it up. when we bought the house 3 year back, it made loud noise when starting up, called the service guy, noise went away but came back and got louder till the summer scheduled service.

could someone pls tell me or point me to a website which has instructions on how to oil the blower and where can buy that little bottle with a long tube coming out of it to oil the darn thing

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lubricating blower fan

Any heating and air parts house carries the "pull-spout" oil. Just look up the parts house in the phone book and they should have it.

o

20 yr old hi eff carrier. Got a model and serial #

Does it use white pvc pipe for intake and exhaust or vent up the chimney?

You may end up pulling out the blower motor to access the two oil port caps.

Zoom spout oiler is what you are looking for. Most hardware stores have them I would think. It is just elec motor oil. I don't know why someone said 30w, seems kinda heavy to me.

o

Thanks for the name of the oiling tool.
Electric motor oil, it is then. I think I read somewhere about 30w motor oil.

Sorry no serial # till friday, I am out on a business trip.

Er, where do I find the serial #?

white pvc pipe to exhaust and same for intake.

Yes, I think I saw the service tech pull the motor/fan assembly out a bit to oil the darn thing.

tlewis et wiley, thanks a bunch

o

I've got a 21-year-old Carrier 58SSB060-8C(? may be -BC) natural gas furnace. The blower is making noticeable noise now. It's never been serviced, and I assume that lubricating the blower may extend its life and reduce the noise. I'm an unlicensed electrician/handyman, so I'm not afraid to get into the furnace and disassemble it partially if that's what's needed to oil the blower. I'm hoping it's easier than it appears. There's no OBVIOUS disassembly path, and I'd like to avoid unnecessarily disassembling areas that don't need it. I'd love to have some drawings that show what is where, but I can't find any data on the Internet. Can anyone help?

o

I have 4 carriers in my house and they run fine for 10+ years. occasionally I have a fan (outside house - where compressor) stick or hang up. i notice there are 4 holes on the top of the fan motor/fanunit and I wonder if these are for lubricating
i'd like to lubricate these fans. can I unscrew the nuts holding it dowen and lubricate with wd40?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here