Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rskeels_gw

Carrier Heat Pump Package unit

Rskeels
11 years ago

My repair guy tells me it has a leak 2 lbs low it is a 2003 Carrier 2 1/2 ton unit and he is assuming that it is the indoor coil which he says with the New Freon stuff is impossible to find he can replace the coil for $1500 which i think is just crazy i hav bought whole units in the past for that

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Any of this repair covered by warranty?

I would want a second opinion. Leaks can be located by good and reputable techs. Many leaks can be economically repaired. Some can't.

IMO

• Rskeels
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No warranty came with the house which is part of the reason i bought the house well known unit and at the time acouple of years old

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Your Carrier unit may have a 10 year parts and labor warranty. The warranty needed to be transferred to you from the original owner.

Are you sure your model has the new refrigerant (R410A) and not R22? It would in your favor to have the new R410A since R22 is becoming very expensive. Companies discourage homeowners from fixing leaks. They would rather have you buy a new heat pump.

• cobbgirl
    11 years ago

When you buy a house you can buy a home warranty yourself from a company like american home shield they charge a flat rate for repairs no matter what the repair is on appliances and plumbing and elec. Might be a good idea to get one of those. Heat pumps go out when they are new. Put the serial number in on the Carrier website and ck the warranty on it.

• Rskeels
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does hav the R410A and the home warnanty problly would have been a good idea but its past time for that I'll hav to chk the Carrier but as i don't no if it is transferable or not

• nancyk
    11 years ago

We have a Carrier heat pump and have found then less than responsive to consumer concerns. Our heat pump (with 2 compressors) has major concerns with the compressors. We've replaced them once already and now they are not working again. The repairman has not a clue and has spent hours trying to get them to work in tandem. We contacted Carrier and they said to contact a dealer/repairman.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

I have read many bad things about home warranties. I would not recommend buying one. I do recommend getting an extended parts and labor warranty directly from the manufacturer.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Have to agree with Mike. The nicest thing I can say about third party home warranties including HVAC is they have poor reputations and are problematic.

IMO