Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikehartigan

2-stage thermostat configured as 1-stage

mikehartigan
10 years ago

I recently had a Lennox EL296V furnace installed, along with a Honeywell T6220 thermostat. The furnace and thermostat are both configured as 1-stage. The furnace does the two stage thing using a fixed timer.

Once I realized that it was set up this way, I raised the issue with the installer. He seemed annoyed by my unwillingness to accept that the furnace runs more efficiently, and the home is more comfortable this way, despite the manufacturer's recommendation. After ten minutes, it was clear that the argument was going nowhere, so I dropped it (why would Lennox defer to an intelligent thermostat if the furnace could do a better job on its own?). The problem, I suspect, is that he would have had to run a new cable to the thermostat - easily a ten minute job in my house.

Am I wrong to push this issue? What about the 14ACX AC I bought as part of this system? Will I experience enhanced efficiency and comfort during the cooling season, too?

What do the experts say?

This post was edited by mikehartigan on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 21:15

Comments (17)

• cindywhitall
    10 years ago

I had the same thing happen and I was mad as anything. Mine is Carrier and I had even questioned how the 2-stage would work and the guy explained it blahblahblah, to me it sounded like the stat would control it.Little did I know they didn't wire stat for 2-stage. After they left I was reading the materials and realized there couldn't have been enough wires for 2-stage based on what I read in the stat install booklet. I knew I only had 4-wires and needed 6 or 7, and they hadn't pulled another (watched him install it).

They did not give me a hassle, except to have the supervisor come out to check it--annoying that I had to stay home that morning for THAT when I KNEW there were only 4 wires so it had to be wrong, THEN the actual guy to fix it came the NEXT day. Similar to you....why give me a 2-stage stat if you're not wiring it for 2? I believe mine was installer error/laziness. The guy who actually put it on the wall was a new guy, I could tell he barely knew what he was doing.

Thing is, it needed another wire run, so I think they just didn't want to bother (it was not hard) or they weren't paying attention to what they were installing and just went with using the wire that was down there (furnace in basement-stat on first floor). Either way, they were wrong. They came out and fixed it.

I was so mad because I had specifically chosen a 2-stage system and wanted the 2-stage stat. If I hadn't read the manual I'd never have known as mine isn't a super-deluxe and doesn't tell me on the stat which stage it is currently using. I think that was made me the most mad, that if I weren't so involved in researching and paying attention that I would not have had what I thought I paid for. I wonder how many people this happens to?

Answer to your ?? You should push the issue. The equipment you purchased should be installed the way it was meant to be used. A 2-satge stat was installed for a reason.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The thermostat should control the staging, not the furnace. On mild days the thermostat will keep the furnace in the low stage to maintain the temperature. This will make your system quieter, more comfortable, and create longer run times which is more efficient.

• mikehartigan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm wondering if I should pose this question to Lennox or if I'd get better traction if I contact Costco? I'm not looking to get this 'fixed' if the installer, is indeed, correct. I simply want to know whether or not he's feeding me a line of BS (which I suspect is the case - I just want to confirm before I take this further).

• cindywhitall
    10 years ago

Whats the question? You bought a 2-stage thermostat, do you want it wired as such or not? If not, why bother buying it? (assuming it cost more then a 1-stage).

The experts say to let the stat control the staging. As far as getting it done right, call whomever you paid. Lennox won't force them to come out and change it because the furnace IS designed to control staging, its just that most say that the thermostat does it better. It's more of a customer service issue between you and your installer, and whomever you paid (costco or installer?) Decide what you want, and then demand it. (Did your contract specify 2-stage stat by model number or name--if so, then they should have planned to wire it properly)

http://www.familyhandyman.com/smart-homeowner/ways-to-save-money/save-money-with-a-high-tech-thermostat/view-all

http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/11683/will-i-see-any-performance-gains-if-i-reconfigure-my-thermostat-to-control-the-s

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg0312034527159.html?5

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?1461531-2-stage-control-thermostat-or-furnace

• mikehartigan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The question is: Is the installer correct that the system is more efficient/comfortable when the furnace controls the staging or is he simply feeding me a line of BS to avoid running extra wire? I bought a 2-stage thermostat because the dealer recommended it with this furnace (I trusted that he knew what he was talking about). Since they took the time to install it, I assumed it would be used to its full potential. The way it was configured, however, my old 1-stage programmable t-stat would have worked just as well. I don't know which way is 'better'. If, indeed, configuring it as 1-stage is better, then I'm content to leave it as is. I'm simply looking for opinions from people who know more about this than I do. Did i waste my money because 1-stage works better than 2, or did I waste my money because I'm not getting the functionality I paid for?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

"The question is: Is the installer correct that the system is more efficient/comfortable when the furnace controls the staging or is he simply feeding me a line of BS to avoid running extra wire?"

It is BS to avoid running the extra wire.

In your set up the furnace is essentially operating as a single stage furnace except for the first 5 minutes when it fires up. If you think about it logically, the furnace gets a call for heat. It starts up and then after brief period of time switches to the high stage. It does not matter whether the temperature in the house is one degree the temperature set point or 10 degrees. The furnace does the same thing because it is operating blindly.

The thermostat on the on other had has the advantage of knowing the conditions of the house. If the room is one or two degrees below the set point, it should tell the furnace to stay in the low stage. This is a more efficient way of operating rather than immediately jumping to the high stage and then quickly shutting down. If the temperature much lower than the set point it will tell the furnace to go immediately to the high stage and get the house to the desired temperature quickly.

• cindywhitall
    10 years ago

You got a lazy installer. I had one too. the links I posted are for you to read so you understand better when you call. Why bother mfg 2-stage stats at all if the furnace does it better?

• mikehartigan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The dealer (not the installer) is sending a guy out tomorrow to review my system (the furnace is is not able to heat the house - a separate issue). He suggested over the phone that I may simply need to add attic insulation (!!!). My home was built in 1990, so, frankly, I don't think that's a legitimate solution. He said he wants to make me happy. I said he could do that by giving me back my old 1-stage, 80% furnace.

I can't shake the feeling that I've been screwed.

• cindywhitall
    10 years ago

If the old heater heated the house,then why would you suddenly need insulation is what I'd ask. You probably could use more insulation, but that's a whole other topic. (search air sealing--lots of info on here about it.) Does it blow heat and just can't keep up?

Did they undersize you? Do you know how big your old system was vs the new one?

Hindsight is 20/20 but Costco may not have been the route to go....I doubt the contractors who hook up with Costco are the best and the brightest. The good ones don't need Costco to get business. Sorry :( Good luck.

I am curious if your house is an example of what my dealer mentioned when I thought he was oversizing me a little. He said that he didn't want me calling when the temps got unusually low (like they have been here in NJ) and saying the house is cold. BUT, most people on here say oversized is bad so I guess you have to pick your poison. My heat is great, the ac works well, but if it was smaller it would run longer and take out more humidity. At least I'm not cold.

I would not contract with any of these people you've dealt with if you decide to get more insulation. Ask for referrals on here and you might be able to find a reputable installer. Or, if you only want insulation you can diy it.

PS. My contractor was one of the higher priced, in demand ones, and I STILL had issues. I think I got a new guy (just one) and a Friday, beautiful fall day (like lets finish up and go home kind of day!)I Have to remember never to do important stuff on Fridays in case something goes wrong. (contractors and surgeries) I guess it's buyer beware.

• mikehartigan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The rep was here this morning. He recommended I increase my attic insulation from R-30 (code in 1990) to R-49 (code today). Conveniently, they also do insulation (surprise!!!). He also suggested that he could increase the gas pressure to get more heat from the burner. I'm not an expert, so I don't know if he's talking out his a$$.

My old furnace was around 90K BTU, 80%, the new one is 70K, 96%. (doing the Math, these should be close enough to the same ballpark) The old furnace had no problem keeping the house warm.

He's going to get back to me after he does another load calculation. And, FWIW, they're going to run new wire to my thermostat (they probably think I'm p*ssed)

• cindywhitall
    10 years ago

My place didn't actually do the insulation, they subbed it out. Probably cheaper to go direct. The insulation guys also did air sealing. Apparently there are certifications you can get for air sealing, so that's probably why they subbed it out. It was part of a clean energy program with rebates in our state. New furnace with air seal and insul qualified for nice rebate. Of course the price was jacked up as well.......

Hopefully it goes well for you. Is the new blower strong enough? The output might be high enough but maybe it's your ducts that are the problem.

I am not in the trade, but that gas output comments seems weird. You should post a new thread on the lack of enough heat and that comment. You might get more expert opinions. More gas? Isn't there a set level for each furnace? What if there is extra that isn't burned? Could the stat affect the amount of heat? Ask that too, you didn't mention it your first post.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

I deleted post... not helpful.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 18:41

• mike_home
    10 years ago

How large is your house? What is your location? It has been unusually cold in many regions. How did your old furnace perform under similar weather conditions?

Have you verified the furnace goes from the low to the high stage?

• mikehartigan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Old furnace got the opportunity to cycle off under similar weather conditions. The new furnace has been running continuously on stage 2 (according to the LED display), without a break, since Sunday evening - today is Wednesday. We're still four degrees below the set point of 72.

This post was edited by mikehartigan on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 6:33

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Something is not right. I would bet your furnace is not configured correctly is only runs in the low stage, or the blower speed is set incorrectly. Have the tech show you the two stage operation. It should be obvious from the sound of the blower.

• mikehartigan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This thread has drifted completely off the topic of the thermostat. Thanks for all the comments on the t-stat. I think I have a much better handle on that now, and the installer agreed to wire it correctly.

At cindywhitall's suggestion, I started a new thread on the issue of the furnace's inability to heat my home adequately. In case you're interested:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg0117212814231.html?4

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I think your thermostat problems and the inability for the furnace to heat your house are related installation problems created by your contractor. His suggestion that you add more insulation to solve the problem is a major red flag in my opinion.

I will follow your other post for updates on how the contractor is resolving the problem.