Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ductless Heat Pump - buy online?

Posted by robhan (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 20:48

Has anyone bought a ductless heat system online and had a local technician do the installation for them? I'm trying to avoid having to buy the system from dealer and paying their markup. From my various quotes, I have a pretty good idea what I need, and I can see that the equipment itself is well under half the cost quoted to me by the HVAC dealer. None of the dealers I've spoken with are willing to just install what I've already purchased online.

Also - would I run into any warranty issues by not buying through a dealer?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ductless Heat Pump - buy online?

I noticed you droped by only to ask this question but browsing this and other forums will reveal about 75% of plumbing and HVAC contractors are far less capiable than thier prices justify.
What you are running into is the norm albeit out of line as far as price. Based on what I see reported here on GW and other "ask for help",I suggest you look around for a reputable handy man to install it if you can't do it yourself.
The warranty may take a hit but the odds are in your favor when the numbers are crunched. If you can install it,you can aford to buy parts or a new system rather than being bled out at every turn. Did the contractors tell you that if somthing proves defective under warranty,the contractor WILL NOT INSTALL IT CHEAPER THAN IF IT WAS NOT WARRANTY? Didn't think so. The cost of a membership in Angie's List is cheap compared to being ripped of by greedy contractors. There will be some here bawling about what I am saying but you be the judge after browsing as suggested. I don't know how to link the l-o-o-ng thread recently on this very subject so if somone can,I believe it better op reads that than stirring up those who believe diy is stealing from contractors.

o

I would love to see that thread also klem1.
There is a certain other board where all the HVAC experts supposedly are that really hammers down on the fact that while they educate the consumer, they will never teach them DIY for free.

o

pbx2,

You said, "I would love to see that thread also..."
Huh? Search at the top of this page for Ductless Heat Pump - and go read the long thread.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 20:32

o

Deleted

This post was edited by sss120396 on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 17:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here