Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris112_gw

Am I missing something... seriously?

chris112
10 years ago

Good evening-

I recently purchased a 30 year old home that has hybrid heating which includes heat pumps and an oil burner. The equipment is all rather old (20 year and some original) including the thermostats. The heat in the house seems to auto switch between heat pump and oil. Above 40 degrees the heat pumps turn on, below that oil is used.

There are 2 zones in the home and I was hoping to replace both thermostats with something programmable and being a tech geek I was looking into zwave. With that said many of the installation instructions I read talk about having to move a wire in the zone panel because I don't have a "C" wire on the current thermostat. The issue is I can't seem to find the zone panel anywhere in the mechanical room. Most that I have seen online seem mounted on the furnace itself, so that is where I assumed it would be. Is it possible understanding everything I mentioned above to not have a zone panel?

The thermostats I am hoping to get are:
Honeywell TH8320ZW1007

I have attached a picture of my existing thermostat and pictures of my furnace. Do you see the zone panel?

I reached out to Honeywell about the wiring and they stated the following... does this sound correct? :
R=R, O=O/B, G=G, Y=Y, X2=AUX/E, B=B. The wire that had gone to T will be taped off. Do not connect this to the new thermostat. The wire that had gone to W would connect to the AUX/E with the wire that had gone to X2 if an HZ432 zone panel is used. Then the W2 and W1/E would need to be jumped on that zone of the zone panel. If it is a different zone panel we would need to know the model number of the zone panel to determine if this wire is used or if the zone panel needs to be set for stage 2 control through zone panel timer.

Again if I don't have a zone panel how can I do this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

This post was edited by chris112 on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 21:20

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm