Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpeana

Burnham Boiler Cycling

jpeana
10 years ago

Hi All, We had a Burnham pvg5 boiler installed two weeks ago. So far so good except.. at times, I hear the thermostat click for heat on, the boiler comes on, but then shuts off after maybe two minutes. This may repeat every 10 minutes before the heat staying on. Today, I noticed an error code on the boiler display "Err 36" which = Soft Lockout, Maximun Numner of Recycles Exceeded" . Calling for service on Monday but any ideas what causing this? thanks.

Comments (11)

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

What's the upshot of this?

SR

• jpeana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi SR, tech came over and didnt know what could be causing it. Seems to be happening less but it does go on for 4 minutes several times consecutively and sometimes stays on, sometimes off. Always when thermostat is on the desired temp (and you hear the thermostat click before she goes on each time). thanks, jp

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You still have a problem which your installer needs to resolve. Did you get a new thermostat and what brand and model is it?

The constant starting and stopping is making your boiler run inefficiently and creating a lot of unnecessary wear and tear. You should request a competent service tech be sent to your house ASAP.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Check the cycles per hour setting on the thermostat. It is function 5. It should be set to 3 for a boiler.

Even if you change the setting, I still think something is not right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Focus Pro 6000 manual

• jpeana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike, it was set to 5. I set it to 3 and will watch it. Ill let you know. I really appreciate your help. regards, jp

• jpeana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, still going on for several minutes and off again (clicks at thermostat each time). Always at the set temperature. The thermostat never dips below the set temp (ex if set for 68, it does not wait for it to hit 67 to start up). thanks, jp

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Your contractor needs to come back and fix the problem. Don't let them send a junior tech again. Don't accept any excuses or stories. You should document each visit as to what was done and the results.

Let us know how it plays out.

• jpeana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do and keep the board posted. TY and enjoy the game.

• jpeana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After third visit, still cycling. Notice a status 4 error for a few seconds right when it loses flame. They're ordering a replacement 'computer processor'. They checked functioning with measurement tools and say combustion is good. thanks, jp

• jpeana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

End of story... Burnham came on a service visit.. it was the pilot assembly. They swapped it and im good now. Ive read about others with the same problem. Thanks for your help! regards, jp