Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat pump using too much electricity

Posted by Raider316 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 24, 11 at 20:09

I have two zone heat pumps
The one downstairs is 13 seer 3 ton Goodman.
I live in Va
The temp have been highs around 40 and lows around 20's

MY kilowatts Hrs usage jumped from around 3600 to 7200 in one month. I have narrowed down the culprit to the 3 ton unit.
The wheel on the meter rolls pretty fast when that unit is running and the aux heat kicks in. Not so much with the upstairs unit.
Since it has been cold for some time I don't know why the sudden jump in usage.
Matter of fact I used 2400 kilowatts in 4 days according to the metter.
I checked the compressor by feeling the freon line coming in and it is warm to hot
I believe the Aux heat may be running too much

I'm using a Honeywell TH6220 Thermostat
Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat pump using too much electricity

600kW/day sounds REALLY high even if the backup is on all the time. If this is so I would suggest getting a service technician on site ASAP!

SR

o

Sounds like the aux is "stuck on" happens alot to heat sequencer (time delay) relays. Need to have them checked,
also, aux will run a lot if the heat pump is not running right, low on freon, etc.

o

I am going to have to agree that is nuts on usage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here