Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icucwec

Heat pump and thermostat setbacks

icucwec
10 years ago

My new condo has a heat pump that uses a water source. The water is supplied by a master boiler for the building in the winter and a cooling tower in the summer.

My question is should I be using the setback mode on my thermostat. I find conflicting answers on the internet, but they all talk about air source heat pumps and never using a setback.

My system does not have an auxiliary heating coil.

I want to run this system the most cost efficient way.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

This post was edited by icucwec on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 19:59

Comments (17)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Who is paying for the heating and cooling of the water?

Who is paying for the electricity to run the heat pump?

• icucwec
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heating and cooling of the water paid out of HOA fees. The cost to run the heat pump is paid directly by me.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Since you don't have auxiliary back up heat strips, then I don't see any negatives by doing a set back.

The same is true for cooling. Be aware it takes much longer to come out of a cooling set back than one for heating. A heating set back of 6-8 degrees is fine, but for cooling I would suggest 3-5 degrees F. There is no harm in experimenting.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I generally agree with Mike although I think both setbacks he suggested for cooling and heating are too large. If the hp condenser runs continuously on recovery for any length of time, I think at some point the setback defeats the purpose.

One question I will throw back at you. Since you are sharing the boiler hot water cost through homeowner fees, would it not be cheaper for you to just heat with the hot water coil and forget the HP condenser except possibly in shoulder months?

Just a thought.

Do you mind sharing location?

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 11:53

• icucwec
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think I have any way to stop the compressor from running.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

If it's not already set up that way, it should be. Emergency heat setting on your thermostat should be the heat produced from hot water coil only.

If it's not, that's what I would want. The hot water coil heat replaces the heat strip.

IMO

• icucwec
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is no emergency heat setting on my thermostat. Simple 4 wire system. Y W R G

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

If this is new install, your dealer did you a disservice. All heat pump thermostats have an auxiliary and emergency setting as well as on/off , heat, cooling, along with fan setting. Dealer apparently looked out for himself, not you.

Sorry to report that.

IMO

• icucwec
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My system wiring

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Not interested in wiring.

Post model and brand of thermostat please.

BTW, it would be nice to get model number of HP condenser and air handler.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 12:22

• mike_home
    10 years ago

How do you control the heat pump without an O or B wire? You need a wire to reverse the condenser from heating to cooling.

Do you have any model numbers of the equipment?

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

I'm the ignorant voice speaking, but could this be simply a heat exchanger in each unit running with heated or chilled water from the building's central system (like in an office building) and not a heat pump?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Could be....he may not even have a HP although he seems to think that's what he purchased.

Something fishy here.

IMO

• icucwec
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unit is a Florida Heat pump. Model fhp024

It does have an O/B wire. Mistake in not listing that. Also has a common to power the thermostat.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Not familiar with Florida HP.

The obvious question is whether you are cooling exclusively with chilled water and heating exclusively with hot water.

IMO

• icucwec
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This might help.

• icucwec
    Original Author
    10 years ago

page 2

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review