Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colt2813

help choosing Trane/Carrier/York?

Colt2813
12 years ago

Had 3 companies come out to replace my existing 20 yr old gas furnace. Did Manual J's,inspected all ducts and wiring.Learned all this here- thanks! All bids are including a new line set, wiring, and duct sealing.I live in the Greensboro, NC area. The three bids very close in price, with the Trane the highest, then Carrier (-$200) then York (- $280).

TRANE: XR15 air conditioner model#4TTR5030E1000A

90% GAS Furnace model #YUC1B060A9361A

evaporator coil model #4TXCBO36B3HCB

Thermostat model#TCONT6000

CARRIER: COMFORT 16 A/C Model #24ACC636A003

COMFORT 92% Gas Furnace Model# 58MCB060-12

COMFORT Evaporator Coil Model#CNPHP3617

Thermostat Model#TB-PAC

YORK: LX 15 A/C Model#YCJF36S41S1

LX 95% GAS Furnace Model#TG9S060B12MP11

LX Evaporator Coil Model# MC

Thermostat Model# THSU32

Thanks for your help!

Comments (5)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Colt

Ask quoting dealer for the matching AHRI number for the system they quoted.

I don't believe they can. I would not purchase a new system unless it was certified as a match by AHRI.

In fact, you can not achieve the performance/eff capability of 15+SEER outside condensers unless paired with a furnace that has a high eff or var speed blower motor. The Trane furnace does not have that feature.

You should recheck the mdl number of the Carrier furnace. Not certain about the York furnace.

What are you doing about a whole house air filter cabinet?

IMO

• Colt2813
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thnaks Tiger- that was very helpful- I thought it was just me that I couldn't find the model numbers!

After reviewing your comments I think I am going with a Trane system-
    and a different company!

XR15 a/c # 4TTR5036 and XR95 gas furnace #THU1BO80A936
    Evaporator coil #4TXCBO04 Thermostat TCONT602
    AHR#4359767

How does this sound?
    thanks so much for your help-
    One of the reasons I'm picking Trane is looking at your answers to other posts.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Colt

I think you may have misunderstood my post.

You can not achieve the full capability of a high efficiency condenser without the proper match of a high eff air handler or your case furnace.

The high eff furnace must have a high eff blower motor or var speed
    motor. The XR95 has neither and in fact is not an AHRI approved match.

If you intend to keep the XR15 condenser, you should look at the XV95 or XT95 furnace to get an AHRI match. This is important.

If you just want the XR95 furnace, then don't waste your money on the XR15;drop down to the XR13 condenser with best matching evap coil.

I hope I made this clear.

IMO

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Colt

What size is your home?

What size AC condenser are you replacing? Any problems cooling your home?

What size and efficiency is the furnace you are replacing?

Post back.

IMO

• Colt2813
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi-
    I agree with your suggestions and have a second set of quotes with a XR13.
    My house is about 3500 sq feet with 2 systems- the other is a heat pump which we are also going to replace with a XR13 heatpump.

We have a 3 ton furnace now- very old(20+years) and probably 80% efficiency. I have no problems heating or cooling my home. Old HP is not as good as the furnace- but everyone tells me the new ones are better. The HP I have is 2.5 tons, but with the Manual J load calc and new ductwork we have been told to go with a 2 ton system.

We are trying to keep things simple. The efficiency is not as important to me as getting a systme that is installed well, properly sized and will give us YEARS of trouble free service. I had been looking at the Carrier equipment as some people tell me the parts are more readily available, but I don't want to use the company that provided all the wrong numbers. Makes me wonder what else is wrong.The best company in terms of giving me lots of info and spending more time (measuring everything- not just using plans)is a Trane dealer.

thanks again for your help- you really give terrific info and suggestions.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!