Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronhome_gw

New A/C system

ronhome
9 years ago

I am new to the forum but I have been remodeling years. I was quoted this system for a customer and I wanted to find out how good this system is. Seems like a good system and the model numbers are included. I thought of changing the thermostat to a nest thermostat. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• udarrell
    9 years ago

The equipment is not my big concern... but Comfortmaker is not high on my list

My concern & yours ought to be if the equipment is 'sized right' for the application, - along with the ductwork & the Return Air Filter Area.

Does it actually need 4-Ton?
    Do a load-calc

Here is a link that might be useful: load-calc

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Location?

Coastal?

• ronhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Location central Florida, Near the beach. 2300 sq.ft.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Because of corrosion to HVAC due to coastal environment. I would want Trane/AmStd and a var speed air handler for best dehumidification. Yes it will cost more.

As far as Comfortmaker, pay extra for VS air handler.

I will assume you have made the decision to heat by straight heat strip rather than consider a heat pump.

IMO

• ronhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look at the quote, it says heat pump system. I thought comfortmaker was made by Trane?

• ronhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look at the quote, it says heat pump system. I thought comfortmaker was made by Trane?

• mike_home
    9 years ago

I don't have experience with Comfortmaker. I do know it is not made by Trane. It is part of the ICP brand of companies. Comfortmaker tends to be builder's grade equipment.

Your quote says heat pump but I can't find the model number quoted on the Comfortmaker web site. I also question the need for 4 tons. You live in a humid climate so you don't want to over size the cooling. I also question the need for the heat strips. It seems a little overkill, but then again I am not familiar what is typically done in Florida.

• ronhome
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We do get down in the upper 30's at times and the unit we have now is 4 tons. we do have a 2 story house that is about 2300 sq. ft. and there are times that the temps do stay in the upper 40's and lower 50's for days, so yes a heat pump is good down here, why be cold?

• mike_home
    9 years ago

The heat strips are needed when the outdoor temperature is too low for the heat pump to produce enough heat to keep the house warm. Most houses in the north will lock their heat strips until the temperature hits the mid to upper 30s. I would think a 4 ton heat pump would provide enough heat without the heat strips.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm