Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hockeymagnet

Help needed with Honeywell 9580 Wifi Thermostat

hockeymagnet
10 years ago

I recently installed one of these units and I'm having a problem with it blanking out for a minute or two and then re booting - This seems totally random but I believe happens when the furnace is running - I've seen it do it and I've also had it "waiting for update" for the outside weather. Basically it acts like the furnace power switch was turned off for a few seconds and then turned back on.

When I installed it, I was very careful to hook it up like my 2 year old digital thermostat. The only change was that I pulled a second wire with 2 conductors. I needed to do this since I didn't have a C wire which is required. I used the second additional wire to connect to the W2 terminal on the thermostat and the furnace so that it could support 2 stage operation. The furnace is a Carrier 2 Stage.

Besides the 7 wires from the thermostat There is another 2 conductor wire connected to the furnace terminal block which I'm sure has to be coming from the AC - Black and white, The white is connected to com and the black is connected to Y/Y2

So to sum up - I put the thermostat wires exactly where they had been on the old thermostat and added a c wire from the thermostat connected to com and a new red wire to W2 on the thermostat and W2 on the Furnace ( I did this so that I could run it in 2 stage mode

This is what I now have:

White from W/OB on Thermostat to W1 on furnace

Red from W2 on Thermostat to W2 on Furnace

Green from G on thermostat to G on furnace

Second White from C on thermostat to COM on furnace

Orange from Y on thermostat to Y/Y2 on Furnace

Red from R on thermostat to R on furnace

Black from RC on thermostat to R on furnace

From AC:

Black to Y/Y2 on furnace

White to COM on furnace

Nothing is connected to Y on the thermostat or the furnace

That's IT!

Any suggestions as to whether this is correct and whether the Wire from the AC is causing the blackout

AC is completely off - It's -10C here and the stat is set manually to Heat -

Thanks for any ideas to correct this problem

Chris

Comment (1)