Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apfelzra

Unpleasant odor from gas furnace return air intake

apfelzra
12 years ago

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have an unusual (for us) problem with our 15-year-old Rheem gas furnace. Recently, and before our delayed winter rains kicked in, we noticed an unpleasant odor coming from the two air intake openings for the furnace, which is located in a tall (4 - 5 ft. high) crawl space beneath our 40-year-old 2-story home. It was more obvious to my wife than to me, but I could smell it if I put my nose the intake grill (that is, the source of the return air into the furnace). I replaced the inexpensive filters that covered the openings of the two intake vents. I notified our local gas utility (PG&E) that we thought we smelled a gas leak, but their technician checked the furnace and every other gas appliance and found no leaks whatsoever. I also went beneath the house to inspect the entire furnace and its surroundings. There were rat droppings all around the furnace and in several places where they had apparently nested in torn fiberglass insulation, so I vacuumed all of this unpleasant material away. I never did see any rats, so I don't know how long their droppings had been there. The furnace ducting seemed to be fully intact (rigid insulated sheet metal ducts to all floor and wall heater vents, soft flexible ducting for the return air intakes) but since the furnace had not been serviced since its installation I arranged for a very well-respected air duct cleaning service to clean out all the ducts with HVAC and clean the furnace fan as well. Even after all this, the odor is still there! It smells faintly of a dead animal but I have not seen one anywhere and there seems to be no way a rat could access the furnace to hide or get stuck inside it or the ducting; the air duct cleaning people found nothing wrong, either. Most mysteriously of all, the warm air entering the house heater vents from the furnace does NOT stink, so the odor is not spread while heating the house -- only when the heater is idle does the odor drift in through those return air intakes. Our only recourse so far is to use scented candles to cover up the smell! Any suggestions?

Comments (2)

• bpchiil
    12 years ago

"have an unusual (for us) problem with our 15-year-old Rheem gas furnace."

"but since the furnace had not been serviced since its installation"

Is this accurate??? I hope not! That's a problem by itself!!!

• apfelzra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, bpChill -- you are correct, and it was good to have the furnace examined and cleaned up (the duct cleaning workers removed and cleaned the large fan box). However, the odor problem remained -- until I decided to spend most of the next day crawling around down there and checking everything out a lot closer. With the furnace running, I noticed that a large section of old fiberglass insulation was billowing out with hot air blowing from behind it. Upon close examination, I discovered that the original installers had left a 5" x 8" gap in the sheet metal case that comprises the blower box, and had apparently tried to cover it with foil-covered tape that had long since torn away. This was why the crawl space was always so warm when the furnace operated -- I was losing hot air into it!!!! I fastened down the sheet metal with screws, bought a small piece of sheet metal and screwed it down over the gap, installed new foil-covered (code) duct tape over all the gaps and wrapped the top of the furnace with a new bat of foil-covered fiberglass insulation. It was while doing this that I pushed up the wide, flexible ducting from the main house air intake where it entered the bottom of the furnace -- and saw a rat tail protruding from the narrow gap between the bottom of the sheet metal air intake box and the concrete pad on which the whole heater sat. The dead rat attached to the tail had apparently crawled in there, got stuck and died, perhaps a week ago. And jeez, did it stink!! Now the source of the odor was found; I disposed of the rat and scraped and vacuumed away the adherent material from it on the concrete, vacuumed up the remaining rat droppings on and around the pad and the old insulation, and pulled out and and disposed of the old, torn insulation. Within a few hours, the odor from the air intakes inside the house was gone. Success! The moral of the story is, if you smell what seems like a dead animal, it certainly IS a dead animal. One thing, though that concerns me about the furnace -- I've read that the electronic igniters (carbide or nitride)on these furnaces are supposed to last maybe 5 years. Mine is still going strong after 15!