Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninak2

Wet duct insulation from Hurricane Sandy - need advice

ninak2
11 years ago

My house has a 5' high crawlspace with cement floors (more like a half basement) that took in a bit on water with Hurricane Sandy. All of the ducts for the heating and central a/c are located in this space and some of the insulation around the lower lying ducts got wet. The insulation was fiberglass with a heavy paper backing. I took the wet insulation off and was thinking of replacing it with Reflectix duct insulation. I am considering Reflectix because I was told by the manufacturer that if it got wet, you can just let it dry out and use it again. The crawlspace/basement has taken in water before, usually only with major storms, but New York seems to be getting hit with them more often and undoubtedly it will again. IâÂÂm starting to second guess myself, because I am hearing mix things about Reflectix, or even whether to insulate ducts in a basement at all. I donâÂÂt want to cause any problems with condensation by not insulating or insulating with the wrong material. Also, don't know if it makes a difference, but about half of the ductwork did not get wet, so I left that insulation on. I am really out of my element here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (7)