Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tippi_109

Cleaning Baseboard Heaters (hot water heat)

tippi_109
10 years ago

Hello Forum:

We purchased a 1961 mid-century modern house with baseboard heaters throughout. The silent hot water heat is really great. However, the baseboard heaters are very dirty and have rust, so we're wondering if you can offer tips or advice on how to clean them, inside and out. See photo of a short heater in a bathroom. Others are much longer. I think a previous owner had a cat who liked to smooch with some of these heaters and added some fluff to them. We've tried vacuuming it out but it won't budge. Also wondering how to take off old paint and rust from the covers.

Thanks for reading.

Comments (11)

• jonnyp
    10 years ago

I remember the same thing when I moved into my current home.Tried pipe cleaners with vac, so so. I took a plastic wallpaper tray and cut it so it fit under the fins. Next , I got a good quality spray bottle, filled it plain old water and set the nozzle to a stiff stream, worked like a charm.This is a tedious process. I also made sure there were plenty of towels under and around the tray.
    As far as the covers go, scrape and sand the heavy rust. Purchase a rust neutralizer and paint with an oil base paint. In the bathrooms I used an epoxy appliance paint. I check them yearly, after 15 yrs they still look the great. The original owners never did a thing in 40 years.
    I had looked into buying new covers. They are almost as expensive as buying them with the element. So take your time.

• tippi_109
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for posting jonnyp, I really appreciate you sharing your experience with this. I suspected that it might be a tedious job, even with a surefire way to clean them. I also did wonder about replacing and updating the look of the covers, but since no HVAC person I talked to about it seemed to even conceptualize this possibility, I was almost afraid to ask, as though it was the dumbest question ever.

You've answered it for me now, and though it doesn't make sense that covers would be almost as expensive as the entire element, I guess there's not much I can do about it other than scrape and sand and repaint. We'll follow your lead and do one room at a time. Thanks again.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

jonnyp, can you recommend a rust neutralizer?

I've seen a lot of baseboard, but never much with the covers off. Since this is going to be a big job, you might modify jonnyp's excellent suggestion and use a tank sprayer instead of a squeeze-handle sprayer. I keep one around for cleaning some special things and keep pesticides out of it. With some of them, you can put the nozzle right on the valve instead of using the wand if that is more convenient.

Tippii Unless you have a lot of time, I'd consider sending out the covers to be chemically stripped and cleaned of corrosion, or blasted with an appropriate abrasive. The same shop might be able to coat them with a paint that is much more durable than you can handle at home since some good ones require special equipment to handle.

If you don't like the covers, on the other hand, you could ask a sheet metal shop to create you some very special ones of your own design. It might be cost-prohibitive, but you don't know until you get some estimates.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

Have you actually checked to see if you can not find economical replacement covers for your finned tubing? I believe they're out there.

GOOGLE ON: base board heating replacement covers

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 16:16

• jonnyp
    10 years ago

The neutralizer I purchased is made by Loctite, I believe I purchased at a box store. In all likely hood the bath covers are going to be the worst, so bad in fact you may have to replace them. I had to replace a 3' section in one of my baths, the bottom edge of the front panel was completely gone. This section got coated with the appliance epoxy, still looks good.
    Don't even think of something custom. I have friends that are tin knockers, just the material alone is a killer.
    Saltidawg, FYI the guy in that video you posted is a blow hard. I live in Ma. and have a close friend who worked with him. His MO is "Its my way or the highway" and my buddy pulled the permits.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

"FYI the guy in that video you posted is a blow hard."

What the heck difference does that make? Do the GOOGLE and see lots of alternatives for replacing rusted out old metal radiator covers.

The point was that they ARE replaceable and I guess your point would add that even a "blow hard" can do it.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 16:56

• tippi_109
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello All:

Thanks for all these great tips. Ionized (hello again), these are great ideas. We have a tank sprayer and we'll use that to clean the fins following jonnyp's method. I definitely like the idea of sending out the covers for stripping and removing rust and repainting. As I read your post I wondered about getting them powder coated. We had that done to chimney caps and the cost was reasonable. But I also like the idea of searching for replacement covers, now that I know what language to use. Thanks for that saltidawg, and the video link. That was really great to see, and there are a few posts regarding that video that are also helpful. My preference would be for new sharper-looking, less bulky covers. Failing that, then spruced up originals. It could be that the cost of stripping/sanding/sealing/painting the originals may end up being close to the cost of buying new ones. I'll let you know what I learn. Thanks again for your help.

• azanutig
    7 years ago

aveart, where did you find a steam cleaning unit? Care to mention the brand? I have a similar problem but can't find an appropriate machine to do the job. Thanks in advance.

• lisaritchie
    7 years ago

Hi, I am a little late to this discussion but am hoping for a reply. Our situation is that our renter had 6 ferrets (without permission) running loose in a hardwood floor room with the bbh system. Have had the floors cleaned, no luck. Will need to try and sand, stain and seal. But I believe the odor is also in the bbh. We have removed the cover. I intend to vacuum out. I do have a sprayer and a steamer. My question is can you use a chemical like Nature's Miracle on these fins or will it destroy the finish?Lisa

• ionized_gw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

How many feet of baseboard is affected? I know what ferrets smell like. I do not know what Nature's Miracle is. I doubt that the fins have any finish. Assuming that they are raw aluminum over copper tube, avoid acidic cleaners. Aim for a slightly alkaline pH, maybe 7-8.5 ish. Too acidic (low pH) will corrode the fins and copper. Obviously you need to clean out the fur and debris first. Consider phenolic and quaternary amonium cleaner-disinfectants. Otherwise, mild detergent should help. Consider HVAC evaporator cleaners like Nucalgon Evan-fresh or EVap Pow'r-C. They are formulated to be safe and effective on copper/aluminum assemblies, and safe for occupants. (I've never tried their "Blackhawk" cleaner, but it is probably a good bet.). It is an aerosol so it will be expensive if you had a lot of cool to clean.) Personally, for this purpose, I'd go stronger than that stuff, but for someone that does not have chemistry experience, I can say that they are safe for you and for the equipment.

Since you are going for a smell, the material producing it is volitale so heat may be your friend. Steam might work well and should not hurt anything. After you are done cleaning as well as you can, Turning on the heat with the windows open might help a lot. Do open the windows and ventilate well because anything that evaporates with the steam or heat from the system might just condense on cooler surfaces if it. Is trapped in the room. That will just move the smell to the walls and such.

Ferrets are great and very compelling animals. I have affection for them, but they make terrible pets from several standpoints.

Good luck to you.