Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txjay

HVAC Replacement

Txjay J
11 years ago

We live in central Texas. Our current downstairs HVAC is a 13 year old 10 SEER Goodman which we have been repairing and plastering to avoid the cost of replacement.
The furnace has been dodgy for the last two years and the tech replaced the gas valve yesterday. However it seems the "ignitor" for lack of the correct term has shifted and cannot transmit the heat far enough to get the gas to ignite - apparently there has been some equipment shifting. He showed me the problem and it seems reasonable. He can fix it, but again it is another patch.
I am giving up. Last summer I "prayed" the AC would last and it did, but it was not as hot as the previous summer.
Bottom line. I have read all the postings and it is apparent I know absolutely nothing about HVAC.
I've contracted for a Carrier 16.5 SEER Performance unit. However, I see that other posters are detailing the internal components. If someone would not mind, what should I expect to be installed tomorrow?
The Infinity is $2000 more and I'm not sure the return is worth the investment.
The 5 ton system handles about 3000 sq ft with 10-14' ceilings and an over abundance of large windows. Humidity is not a problem in central Texas.
TTL $6500.
Point of reference, our electric bills have been reasonable, always I thank you for any advice. My other half is on the other side of the world and is prone to fix until there is a catastrophic failure. Frankly, the cats and I with an electric blanket are wanting to replace and not repair. :-D
k

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths