Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Secondary drip pan

Posted by bold_as_love (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 15:55

Re-married recently and moved into wife's place. Up in the attic running cable to the kitchen and I noticed that there's no drip pan under the coil, only an extensive amount of blanket insulation. I guess to catch any leak? The primary drain runs to the vent stack and fortunately, this has never leaked onto the kitchen ceiling. I'd like to install a pan, but need to know where exactly it's placed and how to size it? Is it typically centered where the coil and furnace meet or under the entire coil itself? It is installed horizontally.

I don't have a picture and it's an all-electric system if that matters. Thanks for any help you can provide!

This post was edited by bold_as_love on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 16:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Secondary drip pan

When and if the primary drain clogs,water is usualy pulled into air handler where it leaks and is blown out. The pan should reach 2+ inches beound both sides and up stream of coil/air handler and 6+ inches passed discharge end. It is a good idea to terminate the emergency line above the kitchen sink window or other conspicious place where drip will be quickly detected. I have located the emergency line above the shower/tub in apartments to prompt tenant to call.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here