Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisinct_gw

Heating a finished basement

ChrisInCT
9 years ago

In the finished basement of my 1960's house, I have an Iron Fireman Chill Chaser supplemental heater. It's hooked up through the boiler. I'm not sure of the age of it, but it doesn't seem to do a great job at heating in general. When I put a temperature gauge right on the grill of the blower, it reads a max of about 88 degrees, which seems low to me.

Would it be beneficial to replace this?

To be fair, the finished area is about 500 sq ft, which is substantial. On the colder days, the room is in the upper 50's with no heat turned on. I'd like to be able to bump that up to the mid 60's.

I was considering putting in two electric fan forced heaters.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• callights
    9 years ago

A friend of mine uses these wall-mounted electric heaters in his basement. They do a great job of taking the edge off in his basement .

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall heater

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Finished basement area is partially or fully below grade? If so, it carries a small heating load. Any idea of the BTU output on the Chill Chaser heater?
    Has your boiler service company ever looked at the Chill Chaser? What is fuel used for your boiler?

Electric heaters are a cheap fix but can be expensive to operate on a full time basis.

What is your location?

IMO

• ChrisInCT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The basement is about 5 feet below grade. IâÂÂm not sure of the BTU output. I found a model number, but canâÂÂt find any reference to it online. The boiler service company didnâÂÂt look at the chill chaser. Oil is used for the boiler.

It seems to be functioning better now, as I recently recorded a temp of about 110 on the grill. I live in CT.

Do you think this is a better item to use in terms of cost compared to an electric unit?

Thanks!

Chris

• ChrisInCT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now I am confused because it seems that the air that comes out of it changes dramatically. It was just on and the temp of the air was only 77 degrees...sometimes it is 110. The water pipes that feed it didn't feel overly warm this time either. Why such a variance? We have a brand new boiler. Could the new boiler be incompatible this heater?

• wwjayceeskc
    6 years ago

I have an exact model - The iron Fireman - Chill Chaser circa 1963 - it works off the burner, has a thermostat and that's how it was controlled - had it repaired a few times and the new service company installed a 'sensor' that wen it drops to a certain temperature, it turns on to a higher degree reading - mine seems to leak right now and would appreciate any recommendations - thank You!

• wwjayceeskc
    6 years ago

Yeah - I'm the Chill Chaser (see the above dialogue on this page) is similar to what is described where the circulator added to the steam heat boiler forces the hot water into the Chill Chaser Unit and thus he hot air can heat a large finished basement - it has for 50 + years!

The burner/boiler is only a 2009 model and actual replaced the original 1940 model - it all works well, it's just the Unit seemed to be leaking a bit and makes noise where something may even be rubbing somewhere

I had it repaired several years ago and then repair technicians switched the thermostat fan control to a heat type sensor - it seemed to do OK?

Their repair cost - service calls are extremely high for disable & elderly customers - thanks!

• wwjayceeskc
    4 years ago

Still trying to locate service for CHILL CHASER after many inquiries....