Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
p3arljam

Gas Fireplace line question

p3arljam
11 years ago

I had the gas company come out to light my gas fireplace light and after trying a few time nothing happened. He then went into the attic and noticed that a plastic tie strip was placed on the valve. He said it looked like a contractor may have done this (i had my AC replaced 2 years prior and never used the fire place before or after that) he told me he wasnt authorized to cut the tie strip off. He told me off the record that i could probably do it myself but having never used a fireplace of any kind i didnt want to take a chance. He told me to cut the tie strip and turn on the red valve and that there would probably be a lot of air in the line.He then said to go and hold the pilot light switch and tha it might take a while. Does this sound right?

Comments (11)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Who installed the pressure gauge on the gas line? There is probably a good reason why someone turned off the gas and secured it with a tie wrap.

Your house seems to be full of mysteries. Was this work done by a DIYer?

• p3arljam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Im not sure i had the AC replaced 2 years ago i bought the house 2 years prior to that and the fireplace worked but we just never used it.If i cut the tie wrap and turn the valve on do you think it would hurt anything i just need to make sure the fireplace works for the new owners.

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

mike_home,

If that was a temporary shipboard installation on a submarine I'd say it was a temporary pressure connection with a pressure gauge and a Schroeder valve to permit pressurizing with air. The tie wrap on the valve ensures that it is not opened during a pressure top test and also ensures that air will not be introduced into the gas supply.

Does the plumber use such a test rig to do a pressure drop test on new residential gas work?

This post was edited by saltidawg on Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 17:18

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Saltidawg,

I suppose a plumber could do a leak test. The usual practice is to use a soap solution on all the connections.

p3jarljam,

Can you visually see all the connections on the gas line between the shut off valve and the fireplace. My only concern would be if there is a gas leak. If you turn on the gas you should inspect all the connections carefully.

• p3arljam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was able to contact the guy who did my AC he said that the pressure gauge needsto be removed and capped does that sound right?

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

p3arljam,

You said, "I was able to contact the guy who did my AC he said that the pressure gauge needsto be removed and capped does that sound right?"

See my post three slots up.

• jca1
    11 years ago

My guess (like others have mentioned) is that the gauge was there for a new work pressure test/inspection, the red valve was closed to prevent high pressure from damaging the gas valve on the log set.

Problems:
    1)If that is the case, the line past the valve has not been tested.
    2) The valve should be in the same room as the appliance, not in the attic.

I would suggest a whole system leak test and verification that a shut off valve is present in the same room as the appliance.

• p3arljam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My AC guy emailed me and said the gauge was for testing purposes only and should be removed and capped off. Does this sound correct?

• mike_home
    11 years ago

I think somebody forgot to take their gauge when the job was completed. The gauge should be removed and the pipe capped.

• p3arljam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help.

• Tinmantu
    11 years ago

The gauge looks like it was forgotten about...the tie on the gas cock made me think that was copper tubing coming off the valve and was red tagged. Copper and NG or LP is not allowed in this neck of the woods.