Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimmer22_gw

IS Goodman good or bad option

swimmer22
10 years ago

My 13 year old Bryant 3 ton heat pump is working but slowly dying. During the most recent cold spell the fan would run intermittently. My service man by-passed the fan to now run all the time the unit is running, even in defrost mode. He believes the control board is going.

I inquired of replacement rather than repair and he recommended a Goodman SSZ16 unit. I am looking for a quiet exterior unit and he said this has a good sound rating of 70dBl. Another option is the Bryant Legacy 215B with a sound rating of 69 dBl.

The Goodman is about $900 cheaper and he tells me equal in quality and warranty. He installs many Goodman units and said down the road part replacement is more affordable.

Anyone have experience with Goodman?

Comments (4)

• sss120396
    10 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by sss120396 on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 17:39

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What is your location?

Goodman has been a brand long on price short on quality. Still is as far as I am concerned.

And definitely I would not use them for heat pumps.

Here is my general spec sheet for new system.
    both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
    10 yr warranty on parts and compressor

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

My personal recommendation is Trane/AmStd, Rudd/Rheem, and Carrier/Bryant.

Depending on your location, I would not purchase a new system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

• countryboymo
    10 years ago

That set of specs is about the best bang for the buck in any system. When the specs over reach that the price really starts to jump.

Variable speed air handler saves a considerable amount of electricity also compared to an ac motor.

If you match or exceed those specs you will have a really good setup in comfort and efficiency even in goodman but other brands will be better in the long run.

The carrier greenspeed units are great if you spend a lot of time in a heating mode.

• Bud_C
    9 years ago

Piece of crap. You get what you pay for.

The builder of my new home had one installed against my advise (would not allow me to pick my own AC unit). It was a model SSX140481AE 14 SEER.

It last only 4 summers and "died."

Get an American Standard, which is currently highest rated by C.R. Rheem and Trane tied for 2nd best.

Avoid Amana (which makes Goodman BTW), York, and Lennox central air conditioners.

John Goodman (one of the former owners) sold their company to Amana. He's on trial/awaiting trial for manslaughter in Florida for drunk driving.