Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborah1950_gw

Need to choose furnace ASAP

deborah1950
10 years ago

After 3 service calls due to water leaking onto basement floor from furnace, we have been told there is crack in heat exchanger. This Carrier is about 10 years old we think. This heats our downstairs and basement, with separate heat pump for upstairs, House total sq. ft. Is 2600 approx. Need to decide what brand, although I am reading that install is just as important? We are in our 60's and don't plan to move or sell,etc. Any brand suggestions appreciated.

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What is your general location?

What if anything are you doing about AC?

What size and eff is existing furnace?

10 yrs is not very old for a furnace? Have you inquired whether your furnace's HX is covered by warranty? Have you considered getting a second opinion?

Post back.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Did the HVAC tech say the cracked heat exchanger is causing the water leakage problem?

• deborah1950
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in Ky. First service call they replaced a rubber hose piece that had split, but when my husband checked it was still leaking. I am pretty uninformed but am trying to be a wise consumer. We had a big repair on the AC to the tune of 800 last year. I will try to get more info. in the a.m. Also had washer leak all over hardwood floors this week, so I am a bit overwhelmed right now! I want to get second and third opinions, but figure the company that made three service runs will charge us plenty if we go with another. We have a service contract with them. I just want quality product and service, so I am looking for referrals.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I am a little suspicious as to whether your 10 year old furnace has a cracked heat exchanger. What you have described so far does not add up.

I am also not impressed with your current furnace contractor. What happens if you don't buy a new furnace from them.Are they going to send you a bill for the three service calls?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

If your service is through a third party warranty company, you are wasting your time.

Again as first suggested, you need a second opinion from a reliable dealer that has good reputation in the community you live.

Preferably a Carrier or Bryant dealer.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 15:08

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

X2.

make an informed choice & don't feel that the
    company who did 3 calls & didn't explain has
    any reason to do a better install than service call.

get bids, take time to make educated choice.
    post bids back & get input before siging a
    contract.

best of luck.

• deborah1950
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for taking the time to help! We will be getting more input from other companies. I was also thinking that we will get hit with a big bill if we choose another company to do the work. The furnace seems to be working Ok, we just have to keep towels on concrete floor to stop the water.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living