Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deerpt_gw

carrier hvac bids and compatability

deerpt
11 years ago

Live in Florida Panhandle. Received bids for 2 carrier systems.
1)25hcb36a006
fv4cnf005t00 - If I enlarged my space for the larger fan coil.
10 kw aux heat
thermidistat
$5600.00
2)25hnb636a03
Fe4anf003t00 - If I can enlarge my space for the larger fan coil.
10 kw aux heat
systyccitn01-infinity control
$8800.00
If the space for fan coils would not be enlarged they suggested using Fe4anf002 with System#2. Would going to the smaller fan coil reduce my system's efficiency significantly?

I was also told that the Fv4cnf002 fan coil is not compatible with 25hcb36a006 in System 1 therefore I am only limited to using System 2. Is that correct?

If I can enlarge my area to fit the larger fan coils:
1)Which system considering cost would be ideal
2)Should I insist on using the Fe4anf005 fan coil.

Comments (10)

• ryanhughes
    11 years ago

Option 2 is definitely the better option especially given your location. You should insist on the FE4ANF005 air handler as it is the same physical size as the 003 and provides better performance.

The FV4CNF002 is compatible with the 25HCB336. It is an AHRI approved match, though performance is marginally weaker with this smaller air handler.

I would pick option 2 with the 005 air handler if you can. Have they looked at your ductwork? Are they changing the lineset?

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

deerpt

You need to recheck the mdl number of system #1 HP condenser. However I believe it to be Carrier's Comfort 16 HP.

Just based on the pricing alone, I would opt for system #1. The 005 air handler would be preferred over the 003 because of the better performance/efficiency numbers. But if there is a space issue, the 003 is a match just not as good as the 005. And FYI, the 002 air handler is not an AHRI match.

Don't be hoodwinked. System #1 is a very nice system, priced good, and either the 003 or 005 air handler would be just fine. I would not even consider system #2 unless you like wasting your money.

IMO

• deerpt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate the rapid reply. The correct number for the system 1 heat pump unit is 25HCB636A006 and is part of the Carrier comfort series ( seer up to 16.5 and I believe has a 2 stage scroll compressor).
    They have not checked the ductwork but the same company had installed my current 3 identical units(38YRA036 with FC4BNF036 fan coils)in 1998. These units replaced my original Carriers installed in 1980.Would there have to be a change in the ductwork?
    I am not sure what you mean by changing the lineset but if it is replacing the line from the three condensor to the three fan coils-that would not be feasible. I believe they are going to flush out the r-22.
    Is installing the 10 kw aux heat a problem? I read in the forums that a staged 9 kw aux heat is preferable. What is the difference and would it be difficult or expensive for my HVAC company to make that change?
    Thank you

• ryanhughes
    11 years ago

Since you are being quoted the 25HCB6 at a very reasonable cost with a thermidistat, it is good alternative to consider compared to the communicating Infinity system. I initially misread your post to assume you were being quoted the 25HCB336 single stage condenser.

The AHRI directory shows the FV4CNF002 as an acceptable match for the 25HCB636 as well as the 25HCB336. AHRI #5475506.

If lineset cannot be replaced but is the proper size it can be flushed and reused.

The ductwork may or may not need modifications. Sometimes small modifications to transitions can make a large improvement in airflow and reduce restriction. If replacing a 3 ton system that had adequate ductwork to begin with, no problem. But if the current system has airflow issues now is the time to address them. You find many homes with undersized existing duct systems (and oversized equipment), so I mentioned it. Your HVAC company would have to verify what (if anything) may be needed. Or they may just plan on installing the new air handler right in place -- would not be hard, as the footprint of Carrier's air handlers hasn't changed too much over the past 15+ years).

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Deerpt

What size heat strip do you have now on the system you will be replacing?

Existing lineset size should always be checked for correct size if it is to flushed.

On the system to be replaced, how many returns do you have now? How do you filter return air? If you don't have a filter cabinet on this system, I would add one.

I see nothing wrong with the staged prewired 9 KW heat strip particularly considering your location and relatively mild winters.

I see nothing wrong with system #1. Ryan is correct. The 002 air handler ia a match. My bad. However in order of preference, the 005, the 003, and last the 002 as far as performance/eff numbers. I see no reason for system #2 considering the price difference.

IMO
    Good Luck

• deerpt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I currently have a 10 kw heat strip.
    Each system is elevated in a small closet with a single 14x24 wall return.
    Gulf Power has a $1000 rebate for replacing an existing unit with one that has a minimum 16 SEER. I applied that rebate to System 1 already. Therefore the cost of System 2 would be $7600.Would system 1 still be a more logical choice?
    I have to enlarge 2 of the 3 locations to accommodate the larger 005 unit 53.5x21x22. I believe that the FV4CNF002 was not offered as an option with system 1 since it would not provide the required minimum of 16 SEER.I suspect that both the 2 systems I was quoted provide the minimum 16SEER.
    Thank you

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

deerpt

According to the AHRI HP directory, the 002 air handler does meet the 16 SEER threshold.

I would ask dealer the size of the 003 air handler though.

What about the filtering of your return air?

The warranty between the systems is the same. I personally would not pay a $2000 premium for system #2. You will be happy with either though.

IMO

• deerpt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think that the 003 is the same size as the 005.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

I think you are correct. Just verify.

IMO

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

You should add another return.

IMO