Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brewer44

Trane 2 ton second zone system XL 15i, XR 15i, XL 18i, XR 17i?

brewer44
10 years ago

Looking to add a 2nd zone to a single family house (4500 sq ft) in Northern Virginia that will provide the 3rd floor Existing system is a 4 ton XR13 heat pump (gas not available to house), which will be used for the 1st-2nd floor. Reason for adding a 2nd zone, removing a wall that contains the supply to the 3rd floor, and to better control temps on all levels.

Trying to decide what Trane 2 ton heat pump/air handler to go with. All configurations have the Trane 7 series variable speed R410a air handler (TAM7AOA24H21SB), 802 stat, ductwork, outdoor pad, strip heater (BAYEVAC10BK1AA), drain pan, new 30/60 amp circuit. Difficult to tell differences between systems except for XL's have an additional 2 year compressor warranty, proprietary condenser top (?), and pricing is very close between all.

XL 15i (4TWX5024B1000A): $9,831.57 (single stage)
XR 15i (4TWR5024G1000A): $9,556.81 (single stage)
XL 18i (4TWX8024A1000A): $10,373.82 (one compressor, 2 staged)
XR 17i (4TWR7024A1000A): $10,205.50 (two stage)

Leaning towards XL side, just for the 2 year extra warranty.

Suggestions?

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What size zone in living area?

For a 2 ton, that is some very frisky pricing.

Can you give the model number of the air handler quoted?

What does the quote include and complete scope of work involved? New ductwork? Air filter cabinet? What Mdl thermostat quoted?

Any other quotes besides Trane? If not, I would get an American Std dealer to quote on their Heritage 15 HP model. At least for comparison purposes. AS is sister company of Trane.

Post back.

IMO

• brewer44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

See above on models #'s for air handler / stat: will include below:

What size zone in living area? Guessing 1500 in the area this one zone will cover. All companies were in agreement with a 2 ton system.

For a 2 ton, that is some very frisky pricing.: These quotes were almost $1100 below another HVAC company. Do you think this is high?

Can you give the model number of the air handler quoted? Trane 7 series (TAM7AOA24H21SB)

What does the quote include and complete scope of work involved? New ductwork? Air filter cabinet? What Mdl thermostat quoted? All work included, Trane 802 stat quoted.

Will look into american standard. But just quotes from two companies on trane products so far.

Thanks

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Very expensive pricing.

I would insist on load calc verification for correct sizing.

On the Trane or AS HP system, you would want the 803 stat or HW equivalent Mdl 8321 which would be less expensive. It s the same as HW makes the Trane stat.

What size heat strip? Should be no more than a 7.5 KW.

Would be interested to hear what AS dealer quotes.

IMO

• brewer44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

See original post on items:

Pricing: Unfortunately, seems that what the prices are in the DC area. This contractor has been the lowest with some additional duct work.

Heat Strip: BAYEVAC10BK1AA. 10KW TRANE STRIP HEATER FOR SERIES 7 AND 8 AIR HANDLERS WITHCIRCUIT BREAKER

Stat: 802. TCONT802AS32DA

Thanks,

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Pay attention to the thermostat. 802 is not the best.

10 KW heat strip is too large for a 2 ton system which I question is the correct size.

Pricing is too high.

You need a load calculation performed in writing.

You asked, I answered.

Good Luck
    IMO

• mary_md7
    10 years ago

We are not far outside DC (Mont. Co, MD) and replaced our 2 ton heat pump several years ago for about $5200. (Hoffacker did the work.) No additional ductwork, though. Sorry, I can't recall the specific model; I do recall it involved a change from our old freon system to puron.