Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atl_heel

Furnace replacement / Question re: best model and quotes

ATL_Heel
10 years ago

Hello experts!

Our 20 year-old Lenox Pulse 21 furnace recently died and the contractor has provided a choice of two quotes to replace it:

Trane XR95 100k BTU Single Stage - $3,060
Trane XV95 100k BTU Variable Speed - $3,560

We have a 2-story home, approx. 2200SF, garage and basement underneath, unit is located in the garage. We're in Atlanta, GA, where contrary to recent events, we typically have winters that average 52-34 degree highs and lows.

Are these quotes competitive? Do we need 100k units? If so, which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

AH

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What size furnace are you replacing?

XV95 is a much better choice.

The 100 KBTU is too large. Get the XV95 in the 80 K size with 4 ton rated blower. It will require a good true 2 stage thermostat. See below.

TUH2B080A9V4VB 40 17.5 28 49,500/76,000 95 Yes

I also recommend a good pleated filter media cabinet like Trane's Perfect Fit.

IMO

• ATL_Heel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The old Lennox is 100k BTU -

What price range should I expect for the XV95 80K? Was the original quote for the X95 100K competitive? And how much does the media cabinet typically run?

With regard to the thermostat, we installed a Honeywell RTH8580WF (wifi) about a year ago. Is it 2 stage capable? Can't find any info specifying -

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What efficiency is your old Lennox Pulse furnace?

The 80K XV95 should be less, maybe a couple 100 bux.

I will try to investigate about the HW stat.

Media cabinet should be in 4-500 range.

If this was my home, I would tell dealer you want the 80K XV95 furnace and Trane Perfect Fit media.cabinet for price he quoted the 100 K model. Insist on the model i listed with the 4 ton blower.

What are you doing about AC for Hotlanta? What size is existing?

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Here is the thermostat manual. It appears it can control two stages of heating and cooling. It should work with the XV95.

What was the efficiency rating of your old furnace? If it was 80% then the output was about 80,000 BTU. The XV95 has an efficiency of about 95%. The output of the 100K would be 95,000 BTU, the output of the 80K would be 76,000 BTU on the high stage. In your mild climate the 80K furnace will be fine even with the harsh winter we are now having.

The price quote seems fair, but I am calibrated for NJ prices. A media cabinet should be a few hundred dollars. You want a cabinet which can hold a 4 inch filter.

Here is a link that might be useful: RTH8580WF manual

• ATL_Heel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The old Lennox is a 90% -

Thanks for the cost info and input, a big help. Appreciate you researching the thermostat, as well. Would be nice to avoid the cost and has been a good unit thus far. We've enjoyed the convenience of wi-fi control.

The AC is also Lenox (and old), still trucking along. Would like to go ahead and update, but think we'll wait for now.

• ATL_Heel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mike_home,

Thanks for the thermostat info, great news!

Big thanks to both you and tigerdunes!

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What size and age is existing AC condenser?

• ATL_Heel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tigerdunes,

Apologies for the delay in reply, didn't have specifics at my fingertips yesterday -

The existing outdoor unit is a Lenox HS14-511V-8P, 18 years old, two speed, 2.5 tons on low, 4 tons on high.

Hope that helps -

• ATL_Heel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tigerdunes,

Any feedback on the existing outdoor unit? Aside from the fact it should be in a museum...

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

At 18 yrs old, I would replace everything now.

IMO