Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no air from vent - but blower is on

Posted by psilversmith (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 12:39

I checked the bedroom register from my HVAC and noted there was NO air flowing out. No wonder it is colder than usual in here. The outside heat pump fan and the attic blower fan are working normally. No reason for the duct to blocked. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no air from vent - but blower is on

Go in the attic and trace the duct feeding that register. It may be disconnected or have a big hole in it.

o

Or you have a damper that has malfunctioned. Then again, you could be iced up if you have a heat pump this time of year.

o

Thanks for the logical ideas. I did check the ducts in the attic - as far as I could follow the one to the bedroom, all looked OK- no disconnects, no holes. It's crazy, I know, that's why I'm looking for ideas. Thanks again.

o

I assume this register is in the ceiling. Can you remove the register grille? Stick your hand inside to feel for any blockage.

If there is no blockage and your air handler is working properly then the air must be going somewhere else.

o

How well insulated is the duct? If not exceptionally well, it should feel warm if the heat has been running for a while. Compare the temp to the other ducts. If you want to get some quantitative information, IR, "point and shoot", thermometers have become really inexpensive. They make for great kitchen tools when you are not measuring duct temperatures.

o

Heat register is cold (room temp) to the touch. I reached my hand to my elbow, all clear. This is really nuts. Thank you for the thoughts.

o

I was thinking about the ducts in the attic leading to the register, are they warm to the touch?

o

Attic ducts are insulated, but do feel warmish.
Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here