Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_546347

Trane offer

User
11 years ago

We have Lenox equipment that is 19 years old for the first floor of our house. Last spring we replaced the capacitor and one other part(can't remember what it was) on the furnace.
Upstairs compressor is Trane only 5 years old. Since compressor is only 5 years old we put in a new coil in upstairs furnace last summer rather than replace whole system.

I have received information from the two contractors who worked on these units about the Trane offer of a free furnace with a whole new system
We don't plan to be in this house much longer than 3 years.
Does anyone know anything about this deal. Is it a come on or would I be saving a lot of money ?
The downstairs unit is 5 T .
I would hate to bypass this offer and then next spring when the AC starts up have the compressor be bad.
It gets very hot here in the summer. Many days over 100 and the HVAC people really get busy when the 100 degree weather hits.

Comments (8)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

There is no mention of a free furnace on the Trane web site. This is probably an offer the local Trane dealer is currently offering.

No one gives away free furnaces. There is usually a gimmick associated with these offers.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Make no mistake. Nothing is free. I personally would not advertise as such and suggest all homeowners run from a dealer who promotes his business in an obvious unethical manner that preys on unsuspecting people especially the elderly.

Use a dealer that has standing and a good reputation in the community they serve. Obviously it starts with correct sizing.

IMO

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I normally run from these sorts of things for the reason you say ---- nothing is free. I'm naturally suspicious.

The trane ad is running on TV and both companies are reputable.
    We had rental houses for 20 years and the one company is the one we used for those 20 years on these rentals.

I'm inclined to just wait until the next breakdown and hope it doesn't happen in our 100 degree weather.

Can someone explain to me why you wouldn't just go back
    with the same BTUs out that you have now.
    Right now we have BTU's in 125,000 and BTU's out 100,000,

I live in the part of the country that will not require 90% efficiency that is set to kick in for those in the colder climates.

Trying to educate myself ahead of time.

• SaltiDawg
    11 years ago

Chloe45,

"I live in the part of the country that will not require 90% efficiency that is set to kick in for those in the colder climates."

That requirement has been "cancelled" or at least "deferred indefinitely."

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

You need a load calc performed and given to you in writing. Being oversized has been a typical problem for dealer then and now. Why pay more in operating costs?

What size is your home? What size is area for system you are considering replacing?

And finally what is your location?

80% eff furnaces are a true dinosaur depending on one's location.

IMO

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My home is large, 4000 sq ft. We have zoned heat and air.
    The unit I'm talking about is for about 2600 sq ft downstairs.
    Upstairs is about 1400 sq ft, but since the compressor was just 4 years old last summer, we replaced the coil in the furnace and hope to get a few more years out of that. the upstairs unit is 75000 BTU's in, 61000 BTU's out. The compressor is 3 Ton ( I think)
    The downstairs compressor I think is 5 ton
    I live in north east Oklahoma. Our summers are usually brutal and very very sunny. A good summer is when we don't have any days over 100. That rarely happens.
    Worse case scenario might be a full month with every day over 100. It does't cool off at night here in the summer.
    not unusual at all for the low to be above 80.
    Winters usually are pretty mild here.
    When it gets cold like the midwest, it doesn't last too long. Today it was 64 with not a cloud in the sky

• harlemhvacguy
    11 years ago

There is no Trane offer of a free furnace.... It must be a local offer. My company is a Trane dealer. Called our Trane rep. He said there is no such thing for the Trane company itself but could be on the local end.

That being said. If estimates are free you could see what the price would be with this offer. I would venture to say it won't shake out to be much savings. especially to change out something that is not broke right now.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've decided just to wait, but since the downstairs equipment will be 20 years old in August, I realize we are reaching the end of it's life especially the compressor.
    With our summer heat being so extreme, we really go through compressors here,
    My sister in another much colder state had her furnace die on her 2 days before Christmas and with the holiday she was without heat for 5 days. It made me hyper-aware that I need to educate myself before ours breaks down.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES