Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hot water radiator troubleshooting

Posted by soapstoneshel (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 12:13

Hi,

My house was build in 1932 and has hot water radiator heat. I have bled the radiators that I can (on a couple of them, the fitting you open to bleed the radiators has been removed). A couple of questions:

Why would the fitting to bleed the radiators be removed?

Also having a problem with the two basement radiators. Basement is divided into two rooms. In the family room there are two radiators. I believe the system is called a one pipe system, that is one pipe goes across the top of the walls, and pipes come down to the radiators. When we first turned on heat, radiators in basement were warm and did not need bled. A few days ago the basement radiators stopped working. The pipe going across the top of the walls is still hot, and the top of the pipes coming down to the radiators is still hot. But the radiators are cold. We have had a couple of weeks of very cold weather here (western PA). Oh, and there is no air in the radiators, they are full of water. I've attached a photo in case that helps (our first winter in the house). The radiators have not been turned off and there has been no change in water pressure, as far as I know.

Any ideas? Many thanks.

Michele

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hot water radiator troubleshooting

There is a bypass pipe from the supply to the return on this basement radiator. Apparently the water is whistling by the supply. Are there "Mono-flow" fittings on the supply and return to this register? A monoflow tee fitting has a sorts scoop that catches the water and forces it down to your radiator. You need one on both the supply and return. They have to be oriented correctly on both the supply and return. Water, like electricity, will take the path of least resistance.

o
RE: hot water radiator troubleshooting

Thanks for your response Jackfre. Do you think it's possible that I'm missing the monoflow fittings even though the radiators were working properly up till about a week ago? Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here