Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

with or without NATE or Energy Star certified???

chueh
10 years ago

I checked the energy star website. A NATE certified technician is recommended for installing a HVAC system. However, it seems to me that the seal/stamp on a HVAC company website is just a proof of the "company" being a paid member of NATE, which does not necessarily mean that all of installers are NATE certified. Am I right???? I am now struggling to choose between a small local company who is not energy star or NATE certified but with 20 years of experiences (as I was told only) and a bigger company that's both energy star and NATE certified.

Also, duct work is as important as the entire heat pump system. I asked the guy from the small company if my ducts need to be sealed, or if there are leaks needing repairs. He said that my ducts were all fine; he checked them with a flash light. My question here is: can you know if there is a leak or not of the duct by using a flash light??? Of course, it's more complicated than what he said, because the installers are not the same people as the one who gave the quote.

Can someone shed some light on the issues of NATE/energy star certified and the duct works? Thanks

This post was edited by chueh on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 12:35

Comment (1)