Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Routine heating system service questions.

Posted by albert_135 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 12:01

Purchased an old house with old gas central heating. [No A/C. Businesses around here, Carson City, NV, have A/C. Most of these older homes have evaporative cooling.]

How does one select a provider of service knowing little about the area?

Is any time of year more economical than others or is a service charge pretty much the same year around?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Routine heating system service questions.

Your questions are good ones that are asked ever day but answers are evasive. I will only suggest you have 2 or more CO detectors.

o

In my area of the Country - MD suburbs of DC - we really do have four season weather. The repair companies try to steer you to scheduling during lower periods of repair activity.

NOT during the dead of winter when emergency furnace/HP service calls are more in demand and NOT during the hot humid summer season when demands for A?C are higher.

I usually get my (oil) furnace checked out April-May of each year. It's not so clear cut for cooling system checks - and I see you don't have A/C - but it is my understanding that to do a thorough A/C check you're better off with having the check performed when there is some warm weather so as to allow more meaningful pressure measurements. (Someone may weigh in and correct that, if needed.)

I'd be more concerned in quality of service and also by hiring a given outfit to service your burner you may want to let them know that you will be calling them with any service needs in the future and are they available 24/7, etc, etc.

One last thing, it is sometimes cheaper IN MY AREA to sign up for a service plan that includes a "free" furnace and HP service.

o

Service charge will probably be found to be the same year-round. In case a problem is going to be found, I would have it checked about 30 days or so before it may be needed so it would be repaired before cold weather arrives.
As to who, checking with local acquaintances for referrals may be best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here